• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Crypt Forrest" low tech 16l nano

DHenry

Hello,

Today I started my new nano. It's 16l and is going to be proper low tech 'el natural'. Equipment is a simple HOB filter and a small heater. Lighting will be a single 3w high power LED.

I've started out with John Innes compost topped with gravel. Some rocks and red moor roots for hardscape and a selection of crypts;

Costata x3
Becketti x2
Undulatus green x1
Moehlmannii x1
Nevelli x3

Enough for a nano I should hope. I started planting today directly into the soil and cap with gravel when I am done. Dosing should be nothing all. I've been reading a lot about these tanks and Walstad's methods and I'm excited to get this going. I haven't done a tank in this way before so any advice will be gladly received. Cheers,

Daniel

Slow is fine by me. Having such a small tank means I can plant it dense enough that I won't need fast growth. As long as it's healthy then I am happy.

Diatoms mate :lol:
That's what will be your problem with a small nano set-up.
Small regular water changes will help or use mature water from another aquarium to start-up.
Regards
hoggie

Well I took the plunge last night. I set it all up. The wife is away with the camera so no pictures yet. I bought some gravel and yet another crypt. It is very dense. The HOB filter seems to work fairly well and I have kept the nano heater from the last scape although I have re-positioned it against the back wall as I dont think it was doing much when buried under the substrate. I am sticking with the single 3w HO LED. Visually there is plenty of light and I had no algae in this tank before I stripped it down so I will stick with it until a need for more light arises. Which I probably won't as I wont be dosing any Co2.

Again, any 'el natural' aquascapers who want to add there 2 cents it will be readily received. Thanks,

Daniel

(I've read your other threads about this tank too.)

My low tech 2 cents...

Taking up yoga is a great idea!

Forget about having a system for water changes and dosing ferts with low tech tanks.
Instead, find the balance for your particular tank and go from there.
(I have numerous low tech tanks and employ different schedules to all of them as required)

Having a nutritous substrate gives you lots of wiggle room.

Rough rules of thumb:
Any odour to the water, or film\oil on surface and I do a water change.
Any deficienies, dose accordingly.

Any plans for fauna?
In a tank this size I'd go for inverts only, shrimp and snails will help keep the tank tip top.

Thanks for the tips. The plan is to leave it be and to watch for deficiencies. I will get some photos up soon.

I wanted a shrimp tank but my wife really wants a dwarf puffer so we will see. I have already transported a few snails from my high tech. I will probably round up a few more tonight. Cheers,

Daniel

Apologies for the phone snaps. The wife is away with the camera but i thought i should get something up.
ee335e2a.jpg

93013258.jpg

469ed886.jpg

Really like this. :thumbup:

Looking to set something similar up myself. Picked up a nice 12x8x8 clearseal from my lfs, very basic but ideal for experimenting with a few ideas. I've been looking at the Azoo Mignon 60 for filtration, is that an Azoo you're using? Just wondering how loud these things are.

Keep up the good work buddy, I'll be following with interest.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello,

Yes, it is the Mignon 60. It is really quite. Seems to be to the job really well. I put a foam over the intake incase I put shrimp in this tank.

I have had a few leaves melt in the first couple of days. I am hoping its just down to the handling whilst planting damaging a couple leaves. I really hope this tank does well. I had this tank set up since the summer under the single 3w LED with no algae what so ever, not even on the glass. Hoping this new scape does well without my crypts melting and without any nutrient dificiencies. This is my first proper low tech. I will be quite happy if this is successful as it should require no maintenance at all.

Might borrow a SLR camera at weekend for some good tank shots. Cheers,

Daniel

Only thing I would do is place the filter on the side rather than on the back so that it would spread the water all along the length of the tank and create a nice flow, other than that its a great start :)

Yes, I tried that first but due to the position of the inlet it didn't fit as well. As it is the inlet fits neatly in the corner. Not the end of the world. I may try it again if it might help improve things. Cheers.

Finally got a couple of slightly better photos. So far things are great. About 3 weeks in now. No algae what so ever. A few Crypt leaves have melted but only a couple. The rest seem to be doing well. No inhabitants at present.
IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1436-1.jpg

I like this a lot Daniel, I can't quite put my finger on anything in particular its just really pleasing to the eye, plants look healthy and its just looks 'right' a proper decent little low tech :D what's the deal with the overhang on the desk/surface!!

I've got one of these tanks in storage, I'm tempted to dig it out and get a mignon, yours is doing a nice job of keep the water nice and clear.

Thanks mate,

Thanks for the comments. I am really enjoying this tank. It is so easy! I was worried about everything just melting and wasting the £30 I spent on crypts but so far so good. The first week saw some leaves melting but I reckon it was just those leaves that were damaged during planting. The light is low but so far the plants haven't shown any signs of malnutrition. And no algae what so ever. I think there is so much emphasis on high tech that low tech gets over looked. I know from my experience that I thought you had to have injected carbon inorder to build a satisfying tank but that's not true. There is a big difference between a proper low tech and a dirty tank with plastic plants and pink gravel. By choosing the right plants and limiting light it seems quite easy to maintain a healthy tank. I would recommend planting heavily though as you will wait a long time for things to grow in.

As for the overhang, it is sitting on a thick bit of foam as the countertop is badly uneven.

UPDATE!

Not much to report other than good growth. All Crypts are filling in nicely. It's been 5 months now, I have added nothing and changed no water. Just topped up the evaporated with tap water. No sign of algae either. After about 3 months i had a few brown patches on the glass that cleaned off with a tooth brush and thats about it. I am enjoying this tank so much I may be tearing down the high tech soon and ditching the co2.
IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

Back