• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt question

Martin cape

Hi guys,

I had a rescape a coupe weeks ago so I uprooted all my crypts, and replanted. Now I think they are melting.

The leaves are curling up and dropping off. I've heard they can do that when they are moved. Will they recover?

Plenty ferts in there same as before and they were thriving so I know it's not nutrient issue.
ry6e2aqe.jpg

Just had my C. wendtii all melt. With decent CO2 and nutrients I've had new leaves within a week.

Hi Martin
I have rescape my 70 G tank more than a month ago and my crypts have melt two days after the rescape, completely melt. They have grow back after 2 weeks and now they are doing fine. Even better than before lol.
Saturday I have rescape my 90 L and all the crypts that were in side are melting.
They just don't like to be move don't worry mate they will grow back. It will take a while but they will do fine !

Cheers

Crypts can adapt to unbelievable different conditions.........hot - cold - very light - rather dark - high ferts - low ferts etc. etc................. only problem is, the already established leaves can't. The plant will dismiss them, and grow new leaves, adapted to the new conditions. Somehow the Wendtii-types generally seems less tolerant (= will melt more often) thenmost others. And for some reason melting is less common (but still happends) in transition from grown over water, to live under water. Big changes in water-conditions will more often than not result in a crypt-melt. This is NOT a disease, but the plants own way to adapt :p
Mick.

Crypts melting is an indication of poor CO2. I never experience crypt melt no matter what I do to them. I can move them anywhere I want, or change conditions instantly and they simply carry on. If I reduce the CO2 then they melt at the slightest provocation.

People only assume that their CO2 is in good shape, but the plant does not really care what the hobbyist thinks. It only cares what it can see in it's environment.

What people forget or dismiss all too readily is that under high lighting, the level of CO2 that the plant may consider as adequate may be what the fish consider to be toxic.

Cheers,

I never experience crypt melt no matter what I do to them. I can move them anywhere I want, or change conditions instantly and they simply carry on. If I reduce the CO2 then they melt at the slightest provocation.

Perhaps this is the crypt responding to changes in CO2 levels, and not specifically a reduction; the crypt would melt if it were moved from a low CO2 to a high CO2 environment.

Crypts melting is an indication of poor CO2.
I disagree. Crypts can be grown in a number of environments. They will grow in unlit tanks with no added CO2 (granted, CO2 demand is much lower). In a high light tank with no CO2, I have observed a complete halt in growth, but no melting.

Cheers guys.

I have to disagree with changes in co2 etc, as only thing that's changed is plant has been uprooted and replanted.

Nothing else has been touched, co2, ferts and lights.

Well, uprooting and relocating fall under my defenition of changed conditions for the plant. It will surely respond - sometimes more, sometimes less - but be assured it will regain it's vigor ;)

Back