• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Profile Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae

Scientific Name
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Botanical Name
Cryptocóryne crispátula var. balánsae (Gagnep.) N. Jacobsen
Synonyms
Cryptocoryne balansae Gagnep., Cryptocoryne kwangsiensis H.Li, Cryptocoryne longispatha Merr.
Major Group
Angiosperms
Order
Alismatales
Family
Araceae
Genus
Cryptocoryne
Lucky to have that river
Sadly, I found out later that it is illegal to collect things from that river :confused:

Going to keep the one in the pic though as it started to melt and taking it back probably isn’t good idea.

@GHNelson Update: After asking locals and many people if it is allowed to collect Crypts or not, the answer is yes, since it was collected in the water way that is only passing through the national park area but not in the park itself.
However, if I want more of this Crypts, I would probably go buy it because it just feel wrong.

Also, is there any reasons why wild Crypt Balansae leaves are more crinkly and dark greenish than the one that sell in the store?

Hello everyone. I have planted this crypt (Dennerle vitro) 2-3 months ago and they are still short, max 20 sm. Any advise what can I do to promote growth?

Having great results with this plant, grown huge and recently transfered to another aquarium in sand, and still doing well, water is soft pH around 6.8

Also, are there any reasons why wild Crypt Balansae leaves are more crinkly and dark greenish than the ones that sell in the store?
A simple explanation is the environment is different!
Long periods of sunshine and abundant nutrients.

On the topic of suitable substrate, I have a "dump" low tech tank (+co2 starting today) with just lava rock in the bottom, that I throw random stuff into. I must have thrown some crispatula in there and it took on. Entire tank was covered up with huge amount of bolbitis for the past few months until I cleared it all up today...

1707686975348.png

Could be retrospriralis as it doesnt look crinkly like balansae?
Would be my guess too, could be the photo but looks a little too light green for Balansae.
I had this plant, the shape very looks like crypt balanse, but crypt balanse is much easier to grow.
If it is Retrospiralis it took mine a good six months to start growing, now I can't stop the little blighters popping up all over the tank.

I have had both balansae, retro and also tiger variation in the past(20 years ago) Currently I had about 3 pots worth of balansae in my 350l which came from 1 pot in the kids tank. Its grown to over 30+cm long and lots of baby runners every few months which I just trim off the larger old leaves. :)

One of my favourite plants ever.

Back