• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne Parva Low Tech

Michael W

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what are your experiences with C. Parva in a low tech setup. I'm looking for a low tech carpet and I have been very fond of C. Parva for a long time. I don't expect it to be fast growing but since my setups are usually there for a very long time I won't mind the growth rate.

If anyone has other suggestions on low tech foreground plants please do put your suggestions down. I am not looking for dwarf sag and microswords as I have both in this and other setups.

Michael.

Monte Carlo is tempting but I don't think it will root well in cat litter, the cat litter is just way too light.

I won't be able to provide 10x flow right in this tank and a good flow around the substrate area which may be a problem too. Reason being is that I'm using two HOBs, I've not turned them on yet but I'm hoping it won't stir the dirt up :nailbiting:. Just waiting for the water to clear, hopefully tomorrow, will take some pics of this setup for my 80L.

C. Parva should do well, it does not require much as far as CO2 and ferts are concerned, do like a bit of light though, but nothing beyond the realms of low-tech, just don't shade them with other plants or hardscape, and it shoud thrive, especially with a soil substrate or the likes.

I think I will give it a try, I'm not in a hurry to add a foreground plant, I'll do some reading first. If I do end up getting it, I'll put some in an emersed setup as a fail safe. I've found crypts to adapt to emersed so easily as with many other Aroids.

C. parva does indeed need a bit more light than most of the standard Wendtii- types.
I, too, found it painfully slow, untill I tried giving a bit more light, combined with quite heavy bottom-ferts (root-tabs). This speeded up growth after a while..............but that's not saying it grew fast - just not as slow.
So C. parva should be capable of doing a nice carpet-ish foreground..........given time ........

That sounds like a plant that I'll be happy with! I don't mind it being a slow grower as long as it stays healthy, I don't expect compact growth, just want something at the front as it is a bit bare.

C.parva is a terribly slow grower in low tech. Marsilea Hirsuta is a good option. It's a slow grower too, but a very interesting addition along with a mix of MC. Good luck! That marsilea is growing slowly in my extremely low tech betta fry tank. Hope it works for you too.

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon mixed lawns are the way to go with low tech. Lots of different textures help distract from any sparse areas and you stand a better chance of finding something that does well in your conditions. In the old Bucket I had Lilleaopsis, Eleocharis, Glosso, C. parva, M. 'Monte Carlo' and whatever Al's mystery carpet plant turned out to be all growing in together. Some did better than others but the overall effect was very pleasing.

carpet_by_hairytoes-d7dzyt8.jpg

Oh, and mixing in Monoselenium tenerum can work well - it'll grow practically in the dark, stays low and is great for filling in gaps.

Good thread here - http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-lawns.32597/

Last edited:
Damn Tom I never get sick of looking at the 'Bucket O'Mud'! It was an absolute stunner mate. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Mixed carpet it is. I'll slowly add different foreground plants in as time goes by as I'm on a budget!

According to this http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/cryptocoryne-willisii-lucens C. Willisii is a complex hybrid which involves C. Parva, I have this crypt in the foreground of my shrimp tank which you can see in my journal. The particular crypt is really not tall at all. Granted I've only kept this crypt a month or two so I can't say much about its height in the long run. It's new leaves are small, even older ones are smaller than the C. Wendtii in there, maybe I'll throw some of this in my tank once I can harvest from my emersed setup.

Even if it does turn out larger, I wouldn't be too fussed, I do love myself a wild looking tank. I have always though I have stunted this plant or something but my Wendtii alongside it are growing to a large size. Just thought I'd throw this crypt out here for some opinions instead of starting a new thread.

Totally agree with tom ; mixed carpets is one of the possibilities in "Low Tech" , since lower growth-rate give you time to ensure, the strongest species don't take over in the 5 min. you looked away
- doing mixed carpets (or mixed groups of stem, too, actually) in a very "High Tech" is defenitely work around the clock..........but it's also fun !!!

Back