• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne undulata help?

mattyc

I have some of these plants in my tank they have been in there for a week and are suffering a bit with yellowing leaves and a little bit of melt (about 5 leaves have melted and been removed).

The tank spec,
tank, 60L
Filter, 680L/H
light, 24W T4 on for 8 hours a day with co2 comeing on 2 hours befor and going off an hour befor the lights.
Ferts, Tropica plant nutrition started with a little bit about .2 ml then increased to 1ml after i realised i was reading the mesurements wrong :oops:
Co2, pressureised 1 bubble per sec blue green drop checker
the water, in the tank is ro with minerals added back it is a bit asidic and quite soft (which i am going to change with the wc to make it a bit harder) the wood in the tank is pulling down the ph.

1, what can i do to help the plants?
2, will the water ph kh and gh effect the plants?
3, should i be using more fert?

Thanks Matt

I've heard a few reasons for crypt rot, among them being nitrate ,pH or light fluctuations. Who knows what actually is the trigger for it?

It is safe to say that they don't really like being messed with too much, especially the roots. Once you put it in the gravel/substrate try to leave it alone as much as possible. Aslong as the roots and rhizome are hard and firm the top leaves will grow back from it even if they totally melt away.

I've never had crypt melt badly myself. The worst I've had is a few leaves melting away and a few going yellow which I just pull off. I have a feeling this was more because of damage from handling where they attach to the plant than anything else.

i have never used co2 injection before so i am still getting used to it. i also only got the pressurised yesterday will have a play when i get time. the reagne in the drop checker started out blue so i am not sure if i should reliy on this reading until i clean the thing out and start again from scratch!

Thanks for your replys

mattyc said:
i have never used co2 injection before so i am still getting used to it. i also only got the pressurised yesterday will have a play when i get time. the reagne in the drop checker started out blue so i am not sure if i should reliy on this reading until i clean the thing out and start again from scratch!

Thanks for your replys

It will start blue and will take a few hours to get a true reading.

well i will put the co2 up when i get home by a little and go through it tomorow and set it up properley! should i reduce the lighting time?

Thanks Matt

Back