• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Red Shrimp Tank

sebado

Seedling
Hi, unfortunately no pictures yet as I haven't even decided what equipment to buy.

I am starting a journal from the pre-planning stage to make sure I make the right choices and don't waste any of my budget. Ideally I would like a nice looking, low maintenance tank where I can hopefully breed some crystal red shrimp.

The Plan:

Budget: £300ish
There is some flexibility here.

Tank: either 30x30x30 (27 Litres) or 45x30x30 (40.5 Litres). Leaning towards the latter to give me more space to play with.
I have been looking at the tanks from Aquariums Ltd. Do you think this is the best option?
Am going to get a quote from them for these dimensions.

Filter: Not sure yet. Really don't want an internal one.

Option 1: Was looking at the Eheim Professional with built in heater. £135.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co...essional-freshwater-thermo-filter-p-1122.html
Not sure if this is good or not.

If I wasn't going to breed the shrimp i wouldn't bother with the heater.

Option 2: Eheim Classic 2213+ for £55 plus an Hydor ETH 200 extrenal heater for £35 so total spend of £90.
For the extra £45 prefer the option above but happy to be talked out of it.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-2213-classic-canister-filter-p-340.html
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/hydor-eth-200-external-thermal-heater-p-2505.html

Any other suggestions.

Stock: Crystal Reds
Bee Shrimp Store is meant to be good.
http://beeshrimp.co.uk/

This is the very very last thing so not worrying about it just now.

I have an idea of 5 from them and 5 from somewhere else for breeding.

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum
It is shrimp substrate and should be good enough for the plants. Any other suggestions?
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/fluval-shrimp-stratum-2kg-p-5366.html

Heating: Covered Under Filters

Lighting: Not got any idea on this yet. Would like something reasonably nice looking but not spending a few hundred on a fancy one. Will come back tot he is later.

Thanks for looking.

My priority is choosing and ordering, the tank, the filter and the heating option. Many thanks,

sebado

If your interested there's some really nice cheap aquariums at pets @ home at the moment that are 27 litres. Come with light and internal filter for £30. Really good value and sapphire glass so very clear. I'll be getting one next payday! The post is on here somewhere under cube tank but I can't search on my phone :(

Also IMO I'd get separate filter and heater that way if one goes you don't have to replace everything.

Alot of the 'commerical' aquarium e.g ones you find at pets@home, seapets ect. Do actually have a rimless top, you usually have to take the big lids off first to check. Much cheaper than buying a rimless custom tank!
If your handy with tools or know someone who is, you could get a cheap and professional looking stand as well!
I have a heater (undergravel) going for about £5ish, PM for details...

The cubes I'm talking about don't have rims, had them out in the shop the other day. Nice bits of kit and cheap to boot!

Cheers :D was about to do a search for it just then! Finaly Home!

Just think the money you save on the tanks you could get 2 and have Another Shrimp Tank!

Tgm are doing a really good deal on do!aqua tanks with a hang on filter and light, think it comes with other bits and it's 90quid!

Saves u a bit of dollar for some nice Ada sand and sumutra wood.....tons of moss and you done :D

Johno2090 said:
If your interested there's some really nice cheap aquariums at pets @ home at the moment that are 27 litres. Come with light and internal filter for £30. Really good value and sapphire glass so very clear. I'll be getting one next payday! The post is on here somewhere under cube tank but I can't search on my phone :(

Also IMO I'd get separate filter and heater that way if one goes you don't have to replace everything.

The tanks at pets at home are amazing, I bought two. The glass is really clear, it looks like optiwhite, very small silicone, just amazing. The light is good, the filter is cheap.

I'm going to buy two more, they are amazing tanks.

Lol i think im going to get 2 and keep them in Storage :D maybe 4 2 small and two big ones :D

nayr88 said:
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/exceptional-value-aquatics/aquarium-packages/nature-aquarium-nano-package-mini-m

This is the one I spoke to you about on the phone Seb.

To be perfectly honest if you're doing this solely to breed them then is something like a second hand rio 180 or something much more desirable?

ghostsword said:
Johno2090 said:

The tanks at pets at home are amazing, I bought two. The glass is really clear, it looks like optiwhite, very small silicone, just amazing. The light is good, the filter is cheap.

I'm going to buy two more, they are amazing tanks.

i'm so going to have a look tomorrow.

Mate there's a trip there at the end of the month....

Me and luis are travelling with Matt (mdhardy) he may have space in his car for a fee :)

If its for a proper breeding to sell on than you'll want larger tanks.

hehe prob the pets @ Home ones not online just instore :D Unless your going to have a trip to Pets @ home :D

I know there is a trip I would love to attend but I have booked friend just week before this was announced, he is comming from abroad staying over weekend.

Johno2090 said:
hehe prob the pets @ Home ones not online just instore :D Unless your going to have a trip to Pets @ home :D

You have to go to the shop, it's not online. They must have made an error with the prices. For the 27L I paid £39 for each. :)

I am getting extra for emersed play, as they come with a glass cover as well.

I hope they didn't make a mistake :/ its not pay-day for a fortnight!

Back