• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Red Shrimp Tank

hi Seb,
people are talking about larger tanks for breeding as small water volumes are notoriously difficult to keep stable for sensitive shrimp like CRS. If the aim is breeding then the largest affordable tank (within reason) becomes the best investment. If you want something pretty to look at then that is a different story....
Even our own LondonDragon (who is something of a shrimpy genius) lost a massive number of high-grade CRS in a nano through no fault of his own! I believe the big asian breeders use a minimum volume of 80 litres in order to maintain water quality. You might be better putting somehting like cherries in a smaller tank, and saving the expensive CRS for something a little bigger...
Hope this helps mate - sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs!
matt

Thanks for all the advise.

This is mainly to look pretty in my bedroom so breeding would have been a bonus but is not the priority.

I am patiently waiting on gumtree for a nice tank to come up as we are converting our 300l tank into a cichlid tank in the kitchen. Growing plants has become too much hassle with sunlight hitting the tank every day and we massively overstocked. :)

When we get the new 300l tank for plants, it will be low stocked with fish and may try breeding in there before adding any fish.

Am leaning towards the 45 x 30 x 30 optiwhite on TGM which should be about 40litres (Minus hardscape).

Not so keen on the packages as I hate the Arc Pods. They are so badly made. I have a couple of wee Denerle shrimp friendly internal filters in the drawer that would do for one of these wee tanks.

Am realising I could do this for a lot less than I was thinking but part of me is thinking just go for it........

Lots to think about.

Thanks for the advise and i am happy to be told how to suck eggs. :)

RE: pets at home. The one i visited in Edinburgh (where seb is) only had the 15L tanks stocked.

BigTom said:
hijac said:
RE: pets at home. The one i visited in Edinburgh (where seb is) only had the 15L tanks stocked.

Was that the one at Straiton?

EDIT - Just phoned them up, Straiton P@H has the 27L ones in stock. Might go down and get myself one this afternoon.

The Corstorphine. It only had spaces and labels for the 15L one.

Will try if I get the time Garuf, bit hectic this end. Just got all the kit out the box and impressed at first glance. Silicon visible at the bottom joins (but would be covered by substrate) but is all but invisible on the side panels. Light seems quite elegant and fittings would be hidden if using a black background... filter is a bit ugly but to be expected really and at least comes with a spray bar. Haven't switched anythting on yet so no idea on noise or brightness of lamp!

BigTom said:
Will try if I get the time Garuf, bit hectic this end. Just got all the kit out the box and impressed at first glance. Silicon visible at the bottom joins (but would be covered by substrate) but is all but invisible on the side panels. Light seems quite elegant and fittings would be hidden if using a black background... filter is a bit ugly but to be expected really and at least comes with a spray bar. Haven't switched anythting on yet so no idea on noise or brightness of lamp!

I'm interested in the glass but we should probably continue the chat on the dedicated thread for this tank rather then hijac ( :D ) sebs shrimp tank thread...

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15954

BigTom said:

I got one running at home, very silent and really clear glass.

Filter is cheap but light very good, a really good buy. Silicone almost invisible.

BigTom said:
Yeah, just got back from Straiton, they only had shelf labels for the 15L as well but had the 27L next to them. One of which now belongs to me :)

Thanks.

Went round and saw Jacs.

I am sold. Assumed they would be a bit pikey for that price but is really really nice. Off to Straiton tomorrow for a 27l and a 15l. :)

Ordered a BOYU light today.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160341941881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Going to have a go at building my own light stand using it. Seen a couple of guides using plumbing pipe and things that looked quite smart. Can't remember if it was on here on another site. I am no DIY expert but reckon it might be fun trying. :p

I now have 2 new tanks. oops.

Went to the PAH at Straiton. They don't have the 27litre tanks on display but the girl went and got me one. If they aren't on the website and not on display, how are you meant to know they have them???? no 15 litres though.

Popped by Pets at Corstorphine on Sunday and picked up a 15 litre one. I didn't ask if they have the 27 litre ones. Maybe in the back.

Tanks are really nice. Filters are horrible but the lights are pretty good. I am replacing the one on the 27 litre with a 3 x8w BOYU so am sure I will find another use for it eventually.

Back