• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal universe

Gill

So this tall cube used to house hermit crabs.
And has been sitting empty for some while.
I decided to set this up for some shrimp in my room on the bedside table .

Tank: custom aquaria tall cube 20x20x50 - for stick insects spiders lizards etc, has a mesh screen built in for ventilation.

Filtration: small internal
Heating: none
Lighting: Ikea janso led gooseneck
Ferts: none

Substrate: none not using it
Hardscape: Sea fern and a coconut cave covered in java ferns.
Planting: just Marimo moss, hydrocotyle trip. A few moss types. And bolbitis attached to the coco cave. Riccia floating in a corner.

Want to keep this really simple.
Seeded with media from the main tank. And some EA bacteria pearls.

Just chucked the moss balls in and some hydrocotyle trip. And leaving it do it's thing.
Shrimp are crystal reds. Dunno what grade they were cheap.
2 ramshorns
And put a few guppy fry in it from the magentas.

19ef4fcb074ea1656860e77a79323bf0.jpg
61dab4aec05e6c134bea9e9d898e3aa8.jpg
a85a647b5d1b77dc80950a963c3c07d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

This is doing really well. Females are Berried, and added a load of mixed shrimp as they were free. Seen some nice Berried Rillies in the mix

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Changed a few things in this.
Swapped out the internal for a Pico sponge filter. Running of one of the aps micro air pumps. Love it as no noise from it whatsoever.
Took out all the fry.
Looking nice and jungle now. Trip is taking over and one runner reaches from the bottom left all the way to the surface.

I like how it looks from my view from the bed. Is nice to watch the shrimp scamper about at night. ♡

Adding some blue bolts and red bolts to this as well. As not kept them for a while.
Free culls have some Interesting colours popping up. A fare few tigers a couple of red sakura. Also spotted a few teeeny shrimp so good to know they are thriving.

Ramshorns are thriving and lots of nice colours coming thru. So far I have seen: red, pink, pink galaxy's, powder blue, and all in leopard form. The pink and blue leopards look lovely.
Will be taking a load to the lfs as he liked the look of them.

Thinking of adding some Pico fish, bit undecided as to what. Maybe some liquorice gourami ?
83ae54da68af2f39af0f9a5edc2803b7.jpg
2bef9f76dec7852ccde4eba91773fb6d.jpg

This is the micro pump. Sticks to the side of the tank.
f9a74bc35a9ab0e920d481ee23b83414.jpg

Is the hydrocotyle tripartita growing without being rooted?

I removed them this morning after reading your comments. Don't want to loose any of the red bolts. And blue mosura I will be adding.

Reminds me of how feisty these are. When I last had them in 2004 they ganged up on a festivium and tore into it.

Have put them back in the main tank. And they seem to be staking out a nesting spot amongst the trip. Not that any fry will survive. Might just have to set up a Pico for them with snails.

So for the last 6 hours I have very slowly acclimating my Blue Mosura and Red Bolts. Long story short they were stuck in a sorting office in Nottingham since Wednesday and turned up this afternoon.
Now I had ordered x5 of each to start me off. And only 3 have made it. Others were falling apart, one was a lovely berried red bolt female and was so sad about that one.
Have had them on drip 1 per second into a jug and draining back down to a inch of water and continuing the drip.
After an hour added some moss for them to forage on.
Added them to the tank about 30 mins ago. And they are busy foraging amongst the plants etc.

Shop had packaged them in 8 layers of paper/bubble/wrap and foil. And 2 heatpacks. Shop have been great keeping me updated with where they were etc. Suffice it so say they were not happy that they had been held without attempt to deliver. And Shop I purchased from will be sending out a full replacement order once the weather improves. Have been using this shop for over 5 years now and has such great customer service.

Really is a gamble shipping shrimp in this weather, although they don't like the cold sometimes heatpacks can do more harm than good to shrimp, they really don't like being too hot, sounds like they made every effort to get them to you safe and sound, where did you order them from if you don't mind me asking?

Really is a gamble shipping shrimp in this weather, although they don't like the cold sometimes heatpacks can do more harm than good to shrimp, they really don't like being too hot, sounds like they made every effort to get them to you safe and sound, where did you order them from if you don't mind me asking?

Yep was expecting the next week TBH, but they were sent out this week.

Seller will be Sending replacements out in the morning. Will be getting the full order replaced and as he has no more Blue Mosura, will Send Red Wine. :thumbup:

Also pulled out 100+ snails this morning, which will be going to the LFS.

I found the perfect little pico all in one tank. So will be replacing this tank with it. Will Update this one once the new tank arrives on Thursday.
I dont think I have ever owned an All in One plug and play tank. So will be interesting to see how it goes. Comes with trickle tray, So will just put the sponge from this into it and empty the water from this one into it. so that it can suck up all the mulm and bacteria into the Media Pads. Of Course though will add some colony to help. and some bacteria balls.
Will be going plant and substrate shopping in the morrow if I feel well enough to leave the house.

I just think instead of buying an Acrylic cube and then trying to make a lid etc. This will work out alot cheaper. And for under 25 Quid delivered is a bargain for me.

Last edited:
The red wine mosura and red bolts arrived and acclimating.

I cannot thank the seller enough for all the updates and have such good service that he has replaced the order with more shrimp.
I used gre0044. I have been using them for years now for hardscape and supplies.
65fb667098918d1f9f90dca082dc7c3e.jpg
95aaf9db9a09403f185f33f83fbba979.jpg

I found the perfect little pico all in one tank. So will be replacing this tank with it. Will Update this one once the new tank arrives on Thursday.
I dont think I have ever owned an All in One plug and play tank. So will be interesting to see how it goes. Comes with trickle tray, So will just put the sponge from this into it and empty the water from this one into it. so that it can suck up all the mulm and bacteria into the Media Pads. Of Course though will add some colony to help. and some bacteria balls.
Will be going plant and substrate shopping in the morrow if I feel well enough to leave the house.

I just think instead of buying an Acrylic cube and then trying to make a lid etc. This will work out alot cheaper. And for under 25 Quid delivered is a bargain for me.

Sounds good! Which tank is it if you don't mind me asking? All pond solutions do some that look quite functional also

Its the APS 7Litre. Wanted something small but with alot of scaping room.
And after spending 2hrs looking into all the Pico Tanks around chose that one.As it is easy to modify if needed.
Will be upgrading the lighting in it aswell with an internal submersible LED tube.
Been Cleaning plant cuttings from the main tank today and sorting out supplies.
Will be using the Bio Pellets in the trickle tray, so have washed and prepared those this afternoon.

Back