• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Curious about rhizomes

Michael W

So having kept plants like Java fern and Anubias for years and more recently Bucephalandra tied on rocks/driftwood, I would like to know why burying the rhizomes are not advised. I've read about them rotting under the substrate but why is that? I myself often advise people to not bury the rhizomes too but have never given any other reason for this a part from it will rot so it will be nice to have some scientific understanding of why this occurs.

Michael.

because they rot under the substrate - as in natural conditions they stand proud I have a bulb that I have had in my aquarium for over six years -still growing strong (even survived a house move) it is now producing bulbets- so I have a question .I have a bulb that needs to be out of the substrate.It is already producing little leaves ,but the fish keep bashing it about.Dont really wan to tie it to a rock - any other suggestions?

I don't know the actual answer but my guess would be that rhizomes are the equivalent of a stem from which the leaves grow. Epiphytes feed from roots and leaves in the water column, stems use roots for anchoring and substrate feeding. However the stem does not grow under the substrate as leaves do not grow under substrate. The stem/rhizome needs have access to both light and co2 to grow leaves to photosynthesise, if it cannot do this then it dies.
Like I say, speculation, but makes sense to me.
Cheerio
Ady

Back