• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Curvy wood island

Andrew Butler

See pictures at the very bottom of the post:

I have positioned a couple of pieces of wood to see how they look.

I'm interested to hear peoples opinions and/or suggestions. I still need to finalise the last few bits and give it a smooth off here and there. I am thinking I probably want some more wood in there also looking at it now but I know sometimes less is more.

It will all eventually be going in an aquascaper 600 which I should be delivered next month but I am just trying it out in my 900 so the blue tape marks the dimensions but it will be 90mm lower. I just want to get it fixed in place and soaking really.

I plan to put some pebbles much like the feel of the Lauris escape aquarium (link below) but plan to plant it out with mainly buces, some anubias and whatever else comes along the way.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/escape.40308/

*For those of you about to say anything about the plywood it is just temporary so I can get things looking right and then I plan to fix it to a slate tile by screwing from underneath with a stainless steel screw and most likely aquarium safe silicone so no plywood base!

LMBYatGD6Jfl-gde8Ja-2aihfc0eYhSXJVW77YGx0DedSYVwyznS9FVZ4elOGwhabP2-xRiJvI2y9dsVXtzeikO2IAH9AiWeD8LwS5wf0RnMaeyozSHQxyEfb0wphmwKxwgb4tqRIf_lvuTWppVIEDGn-9gPObZ3iYGIr80-MLhaNe-tm8LSPHZArfkcmGqNKHdWBDOzgxQanjlHDfIckMCP4MaA_U16SNwSROthLgLYzbtQ-Fr2709hAZvOEPGYeJRAv6Z20EQXC0R2OQhkRPhUiRm6z7KJm4HLY4NEl0yQiWMjCfXXXi6aznGamYVm2dyrEwX7B1YXFU97d084AsEe0rnK3yeV1XJ-rcIHES8o3Wo9_9yMYTj0wTzKJYGJSJOf9WJexiNIMBxSt1U5ZHPjwpl73zVdncKUGZ1uKaKgv0gEDPtvn9anAveGcZTg7i2iq3-kjWdRGb5yIik2NcPuf8s2WLGI_yg5PDzATQ9gW5uJl01pzzybWBdidczM3AJC_49v4frJEU1DIo8bmPBGuAo53yn7C4CxPGovqcosdMuUsNRCJC2h-I4n0rrWHAg9crrLun5b8I9KT0RWxz_rHO1rOLyLWIES0DaeaA=w455-h675-no

ef1Xy5EoXJitB3In_7IXvWna5zQ5nA5c3S6cu_d9cCMszP_O6tIYgryww2c2rVDnf5X1eajVUS44x9Z2XQwheACXhTl_fqvWmAb6glTDZqgNKbUlYHLtzsPXx4Rgw02-Yz-Q1NcnZeAYO0IEmJ3c9QsTjgfrHq9IZZ5TFjYcRMQ6Gx4izuW9q1BMH51WJAsH__QHBTe2IsAKCjw14wts-4zoyhu3L-YTMGYb-pKr7p8Z2qXbF0VyJsKNrIUj9nJC6jTprNaC5vlHawgQA59v8CjMDAWQd5G7497pxKnDKt01DVHqFjgYb9GHge3i3WYvwow-I1fS5J_s56r5Nr041yd0_SjmcART9WZG_ytFQeJYnz8QeUiUe_1SbpwhdyNGxome7i3Fdow32NR1eicVMg15DhtbnzWk1F9beaEnQeBeK0hhR_F4ubhNZWYN13aQ-xkrVwFgQGTiXAr3k827kuz44WxK8W_LTI4caVaApCMaKoCV0vDf5O-ZTkBP6KL7-PRwRklugqrdpdoNdY0piGRM4h8GOnXwnxGXQcSsglK9hBezx6DfZiSONF1T6ug4kUg7F1bUY2Syw-TNloWcb56bPCcIDV5IoRTkefqlGg=w507-h675-no

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-17_13-10-53.png
    upload_2017-12-17_13-10-53.png
    1 MB · Views: 223
  • upload_2017-12-17_13-14-12.png
    upload_2017-12-17_13-14-12.png
    1 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Andrew
Re top photo only
Both DW and substrate are excellent.
The only problem with the DW is that cut flat surface its extremely eye catching making the excellent piece/s of DW uninteresting.
Mixed gravel a very good choice only concern is its flat and completely uninteresting.

I would be thinking of adding one larger interesting rock (*It must be the same as the substrate) in front of the DW to add another feature.

Second tank
DW is excellent don't play with it at all.

What do you have in mind for the Substrate?

Keith:wave::wave:

Re top photo only
I've removed that photo as it was actually of someone else scape to show the pebble look I like, the link is still there though.

DW is excellent don't play with it at all.
Thanks for the feedback.
Did you notice I had added another piece in the pictures later on? I plan to create a similar pebble look to the photo I removed, reason being firstly I like it but also there is a lot of wood with space for the buces and anubias which I had planned on planting. I have a few larger stones but mine are all very rounded and cobble like.

Are you attaching the DW to a large piece of slate using high grade SS screws?
That's the plan, only for stability.

I would get the substrate levels perfect first then think about that perfect rock.
I was going to have a play with the soil before I put the pebbles on top then see where I think a larger stone or 2 might sit. I had quite a flattish scape planned, slightly sloped towards the back and had considered it sloping inwards towards the centre slightly too. I think the wood will end up fairly central.
what else do you think might work then?

Andrew
what else do you think might work then?

What I do know will work and, make it easier to change things around is the Mock Tank. The Substrate can even be sand.

Andrew

What I do know will work and, make it easier to change things around is the Mock Tank. The Substrate can even be sand.

As I was going to cap it with pebbles and only the 1 grade of soil I didn't think I would need to.
Might reconsider this as I have the sand to use, just need a spare dry day to rip some ply up.

Mock Tank
I've just adjusted my mock tank for my 900 temporarily to see how it looks; the black line is the top of the tank.
The wood still needs a trim, sand and finish but gives the general idea.
I will get the wood finished then I can fix it to the piece of slate and get an idea of its final position in the tank.
The pebbles are just thrown in there to give me an idea how they will look but in the long run I plan to just have the substrate sloping slightly towards the back and/or maybe towards the middle as an island.
To make things clear I plan to put down a layer of aquasoil then a covering of pebbles right across the tank.
I also plan to sort through the stones a bit colour wise, there will also be a bit of variety in size thrown in to make it look a bit more natural.

Thoughts?

20171228_135530.jpg
20171228_135537.jpg
20171228_135541.jpg
20171228_135552.jpg
20171228_135556.jpg
20171228_135925.jpg

I think if you want to take this scape to the next level, you need to exaggerate the base of the wood pieces more. Give it a thicker feel somehow, perhaps more detailed, a more "bonsai" feeling or aged looked. I've read lots about people gluing multiple pieces of wood together to give that illusion - maybe you'd like to give it a try and see if it suits your tastes.

I think if you want to take this scape to the next level, you need to exaggerate the base of the wood pieces more. Give it a thicker feel somehow, perhaps more detailed, a more "bonsai" feeling or aged looked. I've read lots about people gluing multiple pieces of wood together to give that illusion - maybe you'd like to give it a try and see if it suits your tastes.
If I'm honest I don't know what you mean; thicker, detailed, bonsai, aged!
Have you any example you could show me what you mean?

Very quickly and without ruining the fun for you as I have to go to bed in a couple minutes..

sxtiO22.png
So you're suggesting more smaller pieces coming off the main branches and thicken the bottoms up.
I doubt either of those things will happen, it was hard enough finding pieces this thick and the idea of more smaller pieces would just mean it's places for plants at the bottom that get little or no light and the tiny delicate looking pieces don't appeal to me so much.
Aged look?
Thanks for the input though.

Other people might have different opinion?

I have trimmed the bottoms, temporarily fixed it to the piece of slate and just put a layer of stones/pebbles around the whole lot to give an idea of height, the black pen line is the top of the tank.
I'm thinking the whole arrangement needs turning clockwise a little, maybe the piece then in the back left corner wants a little more angle on it?
What does everyone else think? - Any other ideas?
Andrew

20180103_133748.jpg
20180103_133753.jpg
20180103_133824.jpg

Yes to your adjustment notes

Based upon photos, I feel the wood has fallen into too much have symmetry - draw a line from base a to base b, it shouldn't dissect the tank into equal halfs, quadrants etc
(in the top down photo, wood bases appear almost equidistant)
The wood seems very centrally based - perhaps this is deliberate

Is there any way to attach the wood to individual slate pieces? - this would allow you to slide each piece independent of the others
When you flood the tank, perspectives change … some wood scapes I loved in air, I end up hating flooded :eek:

Note that when you add water & light, any white stone will really shine (at least until nicely algaefied)

Depending on plantscape, wood hardscape "flaws" may end up quickly hidden

Yes to your adjustment notes

Based upon photos, I feel the wood has fallen into too much have symmetry - draw a line from base a to base b, it shouldn't dissect the tank into equal halfs, quadrants etc
(in the top down photo, wood bases appear almost equidistant)
The wood seems very centrally based - perhaps this is deliberate

Is there any way to attach the wood to individual slate pieces? - this would allow you to slide each piece independent of the others
When you flood the tank, perspectives change … some wood scapes I loved in air, I end up hating flooded :eek:

Note that when you add water & light, any white stone will really shine (at least until nicely algaefied)

Depending on plantscape, wood hardscape "flaws" may end up quickly hidden
I think I have tried to centralise it on purpose as it looked right in my view but that's subject to change and input from others. I know with everything I take a very deliberate and calculated view which I know is not natural and I do try my hardest not to!

Attaching it to individual pieces would loose a lot of the stability but there is nothing stopping me drilling holes all over the place and moving the pieces at all.

After input from elsewhere it has made me realise that as well as many things the overall height of the wood is a bit too high; the black pen mark is the top of the aquarium so it would leave a lot above water and too much I think. The easy way around this is to simply cut them shorter!

I intend to get it in the aquarium (when it arrives) and make sure I am happy before I finally stick the pieces to the slate.

I think I have noted earlier I intend to go through the stones and pick the 'bad' ones out and I have some larger ones to put into the mix.

I'm still open to further input.
Andrew

Back