• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Curvy wood island

Or maybe even coming down into the tank...
20180105_111100.jpg

I like the island type look and don't want to have pieces of wood resting on the glass either.

Also worth noting the black line is the top of the aquarium not the top of the ply

Very different I know but I just like the wood coming from the centre
maxresdefault.jpg

034fab297a573bddf134ed2228a5d4ad.jpg
That first tank is awsome, the issue could be the wood is too thick....? Any I've seen are generally more spindly pieces.

The second picture is just one I found quickly but not the one I meant to put up.

the issue could be the wood is too thick
You mean the wood I have is too thick?

I've tried to avoid little spindly pieces; I do have an assortment of pieces here but not got the shape I want on them.

What do you think about cutting the height down in the whole scape?

here is a youtube of the first one.

Yeah I think it's just too thick compared to what is generally used so may be why you are struggling so much as it doesn't have the same look, I would definitely cut down the amount coming out of the tank too.

I have a bit coming out of mine I'm hoping to get moss to spread onto and possibly some plants on as well.

Attachments

• 20180105_122051.jpg
    20180105_122051.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 124
Yeah I think it's just too thick compared to what is generally used so may be why you are struggling so much as it doesn't have the same look, I would definitely cut down the amount coming out of the tank too.
Well if I cut it down it will get a bit thinner too so maybe that will solve both issues!

Before cutting the wood too much - I see some nice curves I'd be loathe to lose :D - maybe try increasing the angles, at present wood looks to be fairly upright (though this may be the look you want in which case, ignore)

I generally prefer wood rising up from the substrate rather than trailing down into the aquarium

Is the wood too heavy/thick - that's very much a style preference & plant style dramatically affects this
If you look at Lauris Escape, initially the wood seems out of place, but he's a master of vision & as the tank develops I like the wood choice more & more (I'm crap at the vision thing :wideyed:), his tanks are among my favourites

Depending on aquarium location & where it's viewed from, you may find the wood height above the tank overpowering ….. or just right :)

It's so difficult until you actually see glass & wood (rather than mock ups)

Before cutting the wood too much - I see some nice curves I'd be loathe to lose :D - maybe try increasing the angles, at present wood looks to be fairly upright (though this may be the look you want in which case, ignore)

I generally prefer wood rising up from the substrate rather than trailing down into the aquarium

Is the wood too heavy/thick - that's very much a style preference & plant style dramatically affects this
If you look at Lauris Escape, initially the wood seems out of place, but he's a master of vision & as the tank develops I like the wood choice more & more (I'm crap at the vision thing :wideyed:), his tanks are among my favourites

Depending on aquarium location & where it's viewed from, you may find the wood height above the tank overpowering ….. or just right :)

It's so difficult until you actually see glass & wood (rather than mock ups)
I think I can keep some of the curves if i reduce the height and meet things half way. You're right about the angles but I don't think they want too much putting on them.
I made the mistake last time cutting too much off!
I'm not a fan of spindly little bits of wood so it is intentional they are this thick.
I agree I need to see this one in the glass which I will do when it finally arrives.

So here it is after a bit of trimming in the tank, any input/opinions before I stick it down and flood the tank?
I've got a couple of little offcuts that I might whittle down and plug in some holes to look like branches.
The back left was at a really bad height with just 5mm above water line so I took it down, it looked wrong so I trimmed it some more- think this was a mistake.

20180122_154808.jpg
20180122_154803.jpg
20180122_154800.jpg
20180122_154754.jpg
20180122_154748.jpg

Nice wood Andrew:thumbup:
I would turn the whole platform to the front!
With the taller pieces at the back....the two taller branches tend to draw your eyes up to the lighting unit!
Cheers
hoggie

I would turn the whole platform to the front!
The last one is actually the whole thing turned 180 degrees.

Referring back to the original pictures above I think the 3 pieces aside from mid left and front right are in the right places. (agree?!?)
I do think the mid left is missing some height though and as you say having the piece front right higher than all of the back aswell as the front left is a bit out of balance.
Obvious trial is swap front right with mid left which I might try.

Any other input after seeing hearing this post?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Just tried swapping front right for mid left:

Something just doesn't look right about the front right here wherever it goes; is it just me? - probably in part how I've trimmed the end back - any ideas?

I could as third picture show add an interlinking piece to plant on (I would drill and wedge it in) and in the fourth if I left that piece there then drill the branch from mid back into it.

Am I making sense?

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Unable to view the attachments above - error message "no permission to view"

Back