• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cutting and adjusting glass brace

i need to remove one side of the brace around my 4ft tank. I've cut it ok with a stanley blade along the thin edge which is glued to the tank but where it is glued to the other parts of the brace on the flat side I can't get a blade in to cut it. Has anyone else had to do this or can anyone offer any advice please?

Hi, get some fishing line or fine wire. Tie a pencil to each end of the line and use as handles so you don't slice you fingers. Then use the line to saw through the silicon if the makes,sense? If not Google removing bonded windows. I imagine there's a vid on how it's done.

Cheers Kirk, that worked a treat. Now I need to know if there are any technical rules regarding the bracing. I've had to remove one of the lengths so I could reduce it to get filter intakes and outflows in. When I put the length back it won't join up with the end braces in the corners and I need to know if that'll be a problem.

Hi again, I think I would get a piece of glass cutt to size maybe a bit wider that previous and have it drilled to accommodate the hose. Then reattach using suitable sealer.

Yeah, that would have been a good idea. However....I've already cut it so the length is shorter now. Maybe I can find some smaller pieces to silicone and attach the length to the ends.

Back