• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cutting back Weeping Moss

BarryH

The Weeping Moss on the right was originally half that size, it's glued to a stone and hasn't stopped growing. Will I be OK to cut it back a bit as it's now touching the sides of the tank.

Apart from the Hairgrass in the background, the moss is the favourite place for the shrimp to hide, so if I can cut i back, I'll need to be careful where I'm trimming.

49828672408_bc5a93f7da_k.jpg
Aquarium by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Moss reacts really well to being trimmed so it will be happy for a hair cut
Thanks for the help, really appreciated. Is it as simple as just cutting back the moss? I know how funny garden plants can be when you give them a trim.

Frogbit in your tank looks amazing, it didn't do well in my tank sadly. It only lasted a couple of weeks before turning yellow and melting away! I wanted that look too, very jealous

@dw1305 no need to say sorry, it's not your fault! I'm not exactly sure what went wrong but i'm quite convinced that i'm not supplying the tank with the correct amount of nutrients but i'm trying to solve this issue and learn about Ei dosing with the help of zeus.
I tried to keep the tops dry as i know they don't like being wet, i turned the flow down slightly too but they just didn't survive!

I'd love to try again though, perhaps once i've sorted the nutrient side of things out
I'll donate some to you (once I'm allowed out again).
Thank you, I'd appreciate that

@BarryH I'm getting some weeping moss for my tank soon, do you have any tips? Yours looks like its done very well!
Sorry, I'm pretty new to all this and if plants grow in my tanks, it's down to the advice I've been given on here. I do start off with what I think are good plants though, I always buy plants in Tropica's 1-2 Grow Pots and always been pleased with the results.

With the Weeping Moss, I stood a rock on end and, after washing the gel off, stuck one of the pots of moss onto the top edges of that and luckily enough it just kept on growing. The shrimp really love it, I think that's mostly where all the babies are born.

@BarryH i,m quite new too! I'm only about 18 months in if that, every day is a school day eh?!! So much to learn
So did that start off as a single portion in a pot? Confuses me sometimes because when you buy a plant you get a plant, you generally know what size and shape etc it will be, but with moss what do you get?

Yes, that was from a single pot. I pulled the plant apart and applied dabs of superglue to the rock and then laid the moss onto the rock. Not sure how they grow the pots but they're referred to as In-Vitro which I guess means they grow in the pot and feed on the gel that's in there. I got mine from Pro Shrimp in Mansfield but this is the same stuff, as an idea of size, the pots are roughly 70mm in diameter

https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/in...3wCu89H4eS2-BlT8QMhi5apE6CW4_c2MaAsbCEALw_wcB

Back