• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cypress knee scaping

plantbrain

Expert
I'm not sure why more have NOT used these,I set up a 75 Gallon sign these a few months back
. Cypressknees_zps24a09940.jpg

ADA uses the same form, but from stone:
ADAstroneCypresskneeexample_zpse240c94c.jpg

Let me assure EVERYONE, Cypress knees are 1000X easier to cut to size/height, but it will float on its own, so the slate bottoms are used to keep it from moving. This helps the knees into various aesthetic groups with less thought. I will do my own tank at some point, likely in the ADA style above. I did a smaller version (20 Gallon) in Florida, but CO2 and algae issues and no time to tend the tank with Grad school. A 90 cm to 180 cm length is ideal for scaling these knees. Also, you can add a real live tree to these tanks and it'll look really nice and cool. They grow fast and can be bonsai. I have a large bonsai outside.

They're really interesting shapes. They remind me of how mangrove tree look as they start to grow (I saw a documentary about them this week).

Hi all,
They remind me of how mangrove tree look as they start to grow
Yes the "knees" are pneumatophores, exactly the same as Rhizophora mangle etc have. Unfortunately although Swamp Cypress (Taxodium distichum) grows quite well in the UK, it isn't a common tree here, so I'm not sure they will be available to us.

cheers Darrel

Back