• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyprus Helferi - Trimming.

spyder

So what is the best method of trimming. I'm getting bright light green new growth at a fair rate but as the leaves sway on the surface in the flow they get covered in BBA.

I've been trimming individual leaves for weeks but the following week it is back.

Could I hack them back just above the crown and wait it out for new growth or stick to nipping them out here and there?

Cheers.

This is a plant that should be trimmed at the root level.

You cut the leaves and it will simply die. It will get brown all the way to the bottom.

I would like to have a tank full of it, but without brown tips. :) one day maybe.

I try and follow the leaf I'm cutting as low as possible but when they are growing through woody branchy bits it gets really fiddly. Sometimes I end up cutting the wrong leaf as I watch the healthy one floating to the surface.

Maybe next week during intensive maintenance I'll cut them back to just above the crown and see how it goes from there.

I just hack them back..

But look at the reason of bba. I did not had bba, I had the issue of the tips turning brown.

Went to Tropica and they had theirs also with brow tips. I asked how to resolve it.. :) Nopes, when I know to tell them also. LOL

Maybe it is just a feature of the plant, but I do not like it, so it is a plant that I do not use anymore.

ghostsword said:
But look at the reason of bba. I did not had bba, I had the issue of the tips turning brown.

Maybe it is just a feature of the plant, but I do not like it, so it is a plant that I do not use anymore.

When I had it, it had some brown tips and brown marks. New growth is clean just the BBA.

I'll have to get the toothbrush and EC out again to scrub some wood with it on which is close to the helferi, maybe it jumped across? lol. Co2 seems good, very lime green throughout photoperiod, flow seems adequate to the rest of the plants. As it's at the surface, light would be the answer but I'm still on around 6 hours photoperiod, I could remove the reflectors though. All other plants doing ok.

Algae's for another thread, this is about trimming C Helferi, I'll hack it back to the crown next weekend. :D

Back