• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Damaged otto

GraemeVW

I have a 60l cube. It's been up and running for years, just a lump of Norwood, anubias and java fern.
I'll be honest, it's been neglected recently. Still doing water changes, and cleaning filter, but other than that I've sort of left it to itself, algae included.
It had 5 red phantom tetra in it.
I'm in the process of setting up a 200L tank, and ended up buying some ottos. They are in this cube for now untill the big tank is settled. I did this as this cube has algae, biofilm, has been set up a long time, so I figured they wpyld have lots of food while I try and work out what I can get them to eat. Also figured any weak ones will die without being lost in a planted 200l tank. I bought 6 (got 7!). One was not very active and died. The other 6 are super active, have stripped the tank of algae, are great fun to watch, and also seem to take algae wafer! Ive had them a week.

Anyhow, that's the background, now to the point. 3 days ago one vanished. Searched everywhere. Couldnt find the body. I did a water change today and obviously flushed it out from somewhere! It must have got stuck somewhere. He generally seems ok. He joined the others, is eating, but looks a little stunned. I notice he looks to have lost some scales.
No idea what he got himself Into!

And eventually we get to my question, sorry. Anything I should do for him? Chances of healing? Getting infected? Fungus? And treatment I could do? Wait and see how it goes?
I don't have a treatment/quarantine tank, that's what this cube will be when the new tank is set up.

20220711_164153.jpg

Out of 8 photos, that's probably the best.

Thanks.

You do not need to treat a fish for an infection unless there is clear evidence - reddened or black horizons (patches radiating outwards), fungal growth, etc.
Fish can lose and regrow scales without any consequence.
Bear in mind what you are trying to achieve. If it is to restore osmotic balance then a salt might work.

You do not need to treat a fish for an infection unless there is clear evidence - reddened or black horizons (patches radiating outwards), fungal growth, etc.
Fish can lose and regrow scales without any consequence.
Bear in mind what you are trying to achieve. If it is to restore osmotic balance then a salt might work.
I guess I was more thinking about the likelihood of different possibilities and what I should maybe pick up after wotk tomorrkw so im prepared if need be.

I use sea salt to restore osmotic balance and to buy time, in my quarantine tanks.
If things deteriorate rapidly then I would find it hard not to want to try Methylene Blue as a sterilising bath, <guidance here>.
My go-to steriliser is potassium permanganate, and this is what I keep at home. Sea salt good at encouraging a slime coat. I do notice that some of the scales are raised and there looks to be slime coat damage. You have Indian almond leaves, and some measure of antimicrobial action in the aquarium water, and an extended sea salt bath might be possible in a well aerated tub or bucket.

Last edited:
Back