• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's 45p - A Blank Canvas.....

Thanks Chris, indeed lots of trimming will be needed. I just want the rocks to add a little something with the wood being the main piece.

Found that you also need to use a hammer for scaping these teeny tanks to get the size stones you need...

IMG_1825_zpszoi6j7zg.jpg

Been playing around with the layout of all the equipment in the cupboard. Tempted to buy the dosing pump and STC1000 thermostat to make sure things fit!

Dan

Dantrasy, thanks for the comment. Where would you put the bigger rock? I feel like I need to limit the amount of hardscape footprint so I can actually get some plants in there.

Dan

I actually think your tank is big :). But I'm used to working with 1ft cubes and mini m sized tanks. So 45cm is big to me.

I'd start by grouping all the rocks you currently have together. Group them around about where you have the biggest rock atm. Try to get a bit of height.

Also, out of curiosity, I'd try turning the dw upside down. So those two 'arms' are half way up the height of the tank.

Hi,

Haha fair enough, I was used to a 180 litre to this is teeny for me.

Added another rock or two, I really like the driftwood as it is, I have had it the other way before on an old scape so was to use it this way for a change. I still have loads of other bits to do before I am ready to plant/ fill so will probably change it all around before then!

My vision is for the planting to be pretty low throughout the left/ front of the tank, probably with a hair grass carpet and a few small plants dotted around the rocks. Then I will have more height around the wood where the focal point is.

IMG_1826_zpsgtkzo1ur.jpg

Dan

Or it might take me 30 seconds to try what you said out Dantrasy. Now what am I meant to do as you are right, it also looks pretty good (to me).

IMG_1828_zpsobcgjqpu.jpg

This could take a while...

Dan

I like this one! If it was my scape I would grow low carpeting plants all around the stones and wood and in the middle of the wood some higher plants, but that's my idea like the scape

i think with the second one you'll find it easier it keep the plants away from the dw and rock. as always, plant choice and trimming technique will be the decider.

I've been thinking about the plants.

I think I will have a carpet of Eleocharis sp. mini throughout. Then additional plants around the wood/ rocks - things like Echinodorus tenellus and hydrocotyle. Background I would either have taller hair grass or something like Rotala rotundifolia.

Attempt number 3,456,431 at a scape....

IMG_1831_zpswzyr6nyk.jpg

Dan

Personally, I think that the wood looks best positioned like a submerged tree stump, with the single thicker piece pointing upwards and the two thinner pieces more like roots on the substrate.

It's almost like two arms coming round, you could use this as a barrier between two different plants and it would almost be like two arms hugging the plant in the middle. Something that contrasts would be really good, like a taller green plant behind the arms and then the arms hugging a shorter red plant, something like Alternanthera Reiniki Mini. I might sound a little bit mental talking about wood hugging plants, but hey, its Friday o_O:p

Wisey I agree, I quite liked how the "arms" made little arches and how the main body of the wood adds height to the scape. I am just leaving it set up dry for a while and will keep trying new layouts until I decide.

Dan

Not much going on except I have acquired a few bits and bobs, loving my glass EI fert delivery pipes though, these are meant for in-tank CO2 diffusers to make the pipe-work tidy but I am using them the other way around to delivery ferts from a peristaltic pump without the pipes contacting the water surface. In my opinion they also look cool.

Also got 1 litre jerrycans for the EI ferts, new digital timers, switched extension leads, hardware for the backing board, some LED strip lights for inside the cabinet so I can see inside plus other bits and bobs.

IMG_1852_zpssxxbbemv.jpg

IMG_1855_zpsnzulot6z.jpg

IMG_1851_zpsyffw3imu.jpg

Probably not very exciting stuff but hoping this patience planning/ buying extra bits adds to the overall end result.

Dan

I've decided to use one of the shelves from the cabinet for the backing board so have got that all measured and cut for pipes/ cables etc. LED strips fitted to the top board for cabinet lighting.

IMG_1866_zpsenrqhaxe.jpg

After pretty much 3 days work the hardware is near enough all installed. Currently running everything with an empty tank to check for leaks. I suspect I may need some new non- return valves for the auto doser as they is a bit of back-flow going on. Also need to figure out what to do with the intake/ outlet pipes and they are pulling the lily pipes out of line. I may have to cut a hole in the top of the cabinet (scared). Also awaiting the arrival of the STC 1000 temperature controller so I can wire it up to the hydor.

I have tried to keep the tank cabinet equipment as tidy as possible, wires will be neater once it is drained and ready to be planted.

IMG_1867_zpsr7kmutlv.jpg

IMG_1868_zpsact1ambg.jpg

Dan

Looks like a nice little setup you have there. Is it okay to have the filter pipes like that permanently? I'm sure mine had words to the effect of the the hoses must be pretty much straight up from the filter to the tank.

Anyway looking forward to seeing how the scape turns out on this one.

That's the great thing about buying things second hand, you don't get the instruction manuals telling you all the boring rules! I did scan the eheim instructions online and didn't see anything but will check again.

Just some minor leaks around the Hydor and diffuser which I might have fixed.

I have ordered a 60mm circular plastic grommet and think I am going to have to cut the top for the pipes as they just look daft currently.

I'm not sure if they have to be straight up, but I think the shorter the better as flow will be reduced.

If you need to cut a nice looking hole, use a hole saw drill bit, put some masking tape down on the surface first to try and stop the surface splitting. That should give you a decent hole for your grommet.

Back