• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's Little Mountain replacement

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi guys, well, Little Mountain has been going strong for nearly 2 years now. It's gone through many changes but the basics have not altered. I've practiced using stems in a nano and found out that it works very well but it's pretty hard work, i've played around with dosing, CO2 and none CO2, lighting and all sorts. It's been a great learning curve and put me in good stead for future nanos. Unfortunately this tank is no more, on my weekly water change last month i slipped with the bucket and the falling water piled into the substrate (fine AS) and made a terrific mess. The amonia spike was massive and the dust that came up from it was unbelievable. For weeks now i've been trying to rid the tank of the dust, in one attempt i did four 50% water changes, this coupled with the amonia and general poor conditions lost me a good few crystal reds. Even using loads of filter floss the dust was sitting on the leaves of all my plants and seemed to be hindering their growth, especially the M. mezianum. With all this in mind and an endless battle which i was forever loosing I decided to rescape. With a lot of help form our very own nano master, Graeme Edwards we got to work and here is the result...
TemplateSmall-1.jpg

Stats:
Tank: 30 x 20 x 20
Lighting: 11w ArcPod
Substrate: Tropica Aqua Care, ADA AquaSoil, ADA Aquasoil Fine, ADA Bright Sand and Unipac Senagall Sand.
Hardscape: Unipac Fossilised Wood, locally collected wood.
Ferts: ADA Brightly Step 2, ADA Special Lights, ADA Phyton Git.
FIltration: Fluval 105 with Cal Aqua pipe work.
Plant list to follow.

Any thoughts and critiques welcome.

Cheers, Dan.

George Farmer said:
Oh my goodness! That hardscape is brilliant - really, really nice.
Thanks mate, i'm glad you like it.
George Farmer said:
The end of an era and the re-birth of a new one.
Indeed.

Just another thought, aquascaping with two people is so much easier, ideas were bouncing all over the place! often i find that when your on your own you almost get tunnel vision "this is what i'm doing and i'm sticking with it" when theres someone else saying "well what about this" the tunnel finishes and and your on the motorway with loads of different lanes of ideas. Thats how i see it anyway :D

Hardscape looks very good indeed, just curious to see what you plan to plant on it as the hardscape looks low and plants might cover it quickly, I will keep an eye on this ;) Congrats

LondonDragon said:
Hardscape looks very good indeed, just curious to see what you plan to plant on it as the hardscape looks low and plants might cover it quickly, I will keep an eye on this ;) Congrats
Yeah, there's going to be very few plants in it i think, HC, E. parvula, E. tennelus and some stems, R. wallichii or M. mezianum I think, we'll see.

Wow! Top grades on the hardscape. I like the attention to detail in this one (the way the twigs seem to come out of natural cracks in the rock, the small pebble to the far left etc.) but it looks like it might be very high maintenance to keep it from being overwhelmed. Definitely one to watch!

Thomas McMillan said:
That hardscape is top class, Dann(and Graeme!)! I can't wait to see this one planted.
Thanks mate!
YzemaN said:
I like the attention to detail in this one
I'll give Graeme the credit for the attention to detail, thats one of his major strong points ;)
YzemaN said:
it looks like it might be very high maintenance to keep it from being overwhelmed.
Agreed, it'll be a tough one!

Back