• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dark Start and soaking wood

Ben Cox

Hi all
New to the whole aquascape thing. I have had fish tanks over the years but have not really planted them properly.

I plan on using dark start to get my new tank set up but have a quick question about the mangrove wood I have for it. They were bought from an aquatic shop but do they need to be soaked before I start the scape or will the 3-4 week dark start period be sufficient to soak out any tannins? I am happy to do a few water changes to remove the tannin stained water.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Certainly soaking it beforehand will always be beneficial and err on the side of caution. But equally sticking it in a tank for a 4 week dark start could be enough.

I guess if it is still leaching after 4 weeks I can just extend the dark start period.

Me again. As predicted the wood is leaching quite a bit. Is it worth doing a water change at any point in the dark start process? Or shall I wait unti I need to drain to plant it?

My only thought about doing one sooner is I will be able to tell if the wood is still leaching or if it has stopped.

Cheers

It’s up to you, I doubt it’ll make a difference to the process either way. I think the idea is just to make setting up a newly planted tank less labour intensive

Thanks Tim. It's definately making it "darker" so not much chance of algae growing, :)

Hi all,
Is it worth doing a water change at any point in the dark start process?
Yes, change some water. If you are adding ammonia (NH3)? Just stop, cycling doesn't really exist in the way <"that we traditionally thought it did">.
I think the idea is just to make setting up a newly planted tank less labour intensive
If you have a substrate that is ammonia rich the dark start process will reduce the ammonia levels without encouraging a bloom of algae. If you don't have ammonia?Just plant it, that way you will get to it being <"definitely fish safe"> a lot more quickly.
It's definately making it "darker" so not much chance of algae growing,
Have a look at @GHNelson 's floating stem plant method <"Using stem plants as a filtering aid at Start Up!">.

You can always add a floating plant, it will start the seasoning process and won't become algae covered etc. Have a look at <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?"> and <"Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) phytoremediation references">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Darrel

I am using Tropica Substrate, which I understand is quite high in Ammonia. It has been set up about 5 days now and the Ammonia levels are nearly zero so maybe it is not has high as I thought or maybe I am being impatient! It is capped with gravel and sand, not sure if that will effect it.

I will take a look at the info you suggested and maybe look to add some floating plants.

Cheers

Ben

I soaked a piece of wood in a trug outside for quite a few weeks before using it in one of my tanks. Many months later it still colours the water so I’m now using Purigen to keep the water clear.

Im new so what do I know…. But fyi, I did a few water changes on my dark start (am still in it until plants arrive).
Once to do some hardscape alterations and another more recently after messing about with co2 (I had also just got some small water change pumps to play with).

After four weeks the filter media was maturing with some colour on it I was seeing some biofilm about the tank.
Also, I threw in a bag of activated charcoal and that cleared up the wood tannins.

Feels much easier than the ADA guide of doing dozens of water changes in a normal start.

Hi all,
I am using Tropica Substrate, which I understand is quite high in Ammonia.
A "dark start" sounds a good idea.
and maybe look to add some floating plants.
I'm a floating plant fanatic, but they really help. One advantage is you can just "watch the plant" so it takes a way a lot of the <"uncertainty associated with water testing">.
......... There is a much easier way of estimating the nitrate content of your tank water and that is to observe the growth rate and colour of a non-CO2 limited plant in your aquarium via the "Duckweed Index".

If your plant grows quickly, and is dark green, you have lots of nitrate.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I threw in a bag of activated charcoal and that cleared up the wood tannins.
I have charcoal in the filter already. Doesn't seem to be effecting the tannins so far, but it's early days. I am in no hurry so can wait.

I used to use carbon in one of my tanks to remove the tannins but it only seems to be effective for three or four weeks. The small bags of Purigen are surprisingly effective and last for months before needing regeneration.

I used to use carbon in one of my tanks to remove the tannins but it only seems to be effective for three or four weeks. The small bags of Purigen are surprisingly effective and last for months before needing regeneration.
Thanks, I may give that a go if the carbon doesn't work out.

I’m impressed with the Purigen packaging. The resin came sealed in a hard plastic mesh bag that seems very durable. I bought a pack of two so I have one in each filter for my two Nano’s.

Toss a bag of purigen in and you'll be fine. IME, by the time (or second time) the purigen needs regenerated, the wood will have stopped leeching tannins. Ex, lots of malaysian wood in my 90P , not a trace of tannins. See here.

Back