• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dark start vs old filter media?

BuffBall

Always though that if I started another tank, I would do the dark start as I think it would be the best in terms of the benefits it offers and while it's cycling.

But I thought if I use half of the media from my old tanks canister, does that mean it's cycled already enough for some starting fish. If so what other benefits am I missing here otherwise I can do just that and get planting straight away.

The mold from plants can be eaten from otos or shrimps, maybe I don't need to do that many initial water changes also? Would I get start up diatoms?

Main thing would be, and from what I've seen is that the aquasoil would leech out enough ammonia, but if it's heavily planted with floaters, would that not just eat all that up?

Would be great to hear what you guys prefer/do and why

If you can I say do both the dark start as well as add old cycled media.

For my second tank that is currently cycling I decided this time to stick with the dark start method (unlike I did with the first tank where I planted early).

I used only a few Miracle Gro root tabs in the substrate as a sufficient ammonia source, have my HOB filter raised slightly higher to create as much surface agitation for maximum oxygenation for the bacteria, added a small scoop of phosphates (as i read that it helps with bacteria reproduction), added some floating plants and had the window curtains open (I know it should be a dark start) and I added Fritz Turbostart 700 (just to see if it really was the hype).

The Fritz did the trick as I kid you not I had Nitrite readings on day 2 and ammonia reading of 1ppm.

After 10 days my ammonia was 0 and Nitrites was 8ppm.

After cleaning the filter from my already established tank i decided to take the clogged filter floss and put it in the filter of my second tank and now on day 14 Nitrites are around 1-2ppm. Adding the old filter media made a big difference.

I mentioned that I added floating plants to my tank as well with the curtain open. Sunlight does hit the tank but because the background is black I blocks most of the light coming inside the tank and most of it hits the top where the plants take it and grow. You dont have to do this I just thought it would help things along and would make the tank look more interesting. Also no signs of algae contrary to popular belief.

The best thing about it is that you don't have to do water changes. It's zero effort. Just need patience, it will pay off.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hello hello

I don't know much about dark start.
But I do know that putting old media or plants help to inoculate your new tank with bacteria that will do a jump start in your aquarium
There is a correspondence with Dr. Ryan, that teaches a thing or two on this matter. Quoting @dw1305: Journal on my new 200L low tech with Under Gravel Filter

Also I started a tank, set up, plant and fish in 24h.
I used the old substrate (50%), and plants.
The fish seem fine, today is the 10th since I set it up.

Cheers
Jonni

Hi all,
If you can I say do both the dark start as well as add old cycled media.
Have a look at <"Amano Shrimp , co2 and Tropica soil">.
But I do know that putting old media or plants help to inoculate your new tank with bacteria that will do a jump start in your aquarium
Yes, that is as good as we've got at the moment. This is the Ryan Newton thread: <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">.
I added Fritz Turbostart 700 (just to see if it really was the hype).
I'm going to guess that this won't make much difference, we have some threads with Dr Tim Hovanec <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements">.

The marine thread is particularly interesting <"Tim Hovanec's "Nitrification in marine aquarium" article"> in terms of "tanks without plants".

cheers Darrel

A cycled tank and a mature tank are not the same. Having the microbiota to process ammonia and nitrites is only one part of what a microbiota maturity is. It is, however, the easiest part to measure, so it is commonly extrapolated to a broad maturity. When you "trick" cycling, though, you probably won't be quickening maturity as a whole at the same rate.

Hi all,
A cycled tank and a mature tank are not the same.
Very much agreed, that is why I've pushed the idea of <"plant and wait"> as <"an alternative"> and then to use the plants as your test kit (<"to act as a biotic index">).

Cory from the Aquarium Co-Op talks about this in his <"Seasoned Tank Time"> video (linked here <"Help needed with 0 Nitrates Levels">).

I'll be honest, <"I've never liked"> the term "cycled", or the <"concept of "cycling"> as a <"binary switch"> from <"fish unsafe" to "fish safe">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I agree with all the above.

Ideally when you plant you would want to have your substrate full of a diverse microbial assemblage. The old media inoculate the microbes and the DS method let time for this diversity to flourish and adapt to all the places it can in your tank : mainly the hard scape and the substrate.

So I would do the Dark start + using matured media. It can't hurt and only help having a more stable system when you first start adding light and plant.

Back