• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

death diagnosis

Diddymen

morning,

My female krib died recently, but not sure what caused it.

for a couple of days, its seemed to be panting. gill and mouth movement weren't rapid, but it was constant. It wasn't gasping at the surface. Its colour seemed normal, but I don't recall it eating.

None of the other fish are showing the symptoms, CO2 levels haven't changed, so I don't think it is CO2 poisoning or lack of oxygen.

It had the symptoms for a few days, then I found it dead one morning.

Water parameters all seem fine.

I'm starting to think perhaps some sort of parasite? .....any ideas?

I've also noticed one of my dwarf gourami's has stringy poo (breathing seems normal)
and one of my dwarf rainbows had a red spot (with white in the middle) on one of its sides, and is red around its bumhole .....but it seem to be getting beter

morning,

My female krib died recently, but not sure what caused it.

for a couple of days, its seemed to be panting. gill and mouth movement weren't rapid, but it was constant. It wasn't gasping at the surface. Its colour seemed normal, but I don't recall it eating.

None of the other fish are showing the symptoms, CO2 levels haven't changed, so I don't think it is CO2 poisoning or lack of oxygen.

It had the symptoms for a few days, then I found it dead one morning.

Water parameters all seem fine.

I'm starting to think perhaps some sort of parasite? .....any ideas?

I've also noticed one of my dwarf gourami's has stringy poo (breathing seems normal)
and one of my dwarf rainbows had a red spot (with white in the middle) on one of its sides, and is red around its bumhole .....but it seem to be getting beter

It’s a broad church but internal bacterial infection/gill flukes/PH shock/dropsy (more so with body swelling though), ammonia poisoning, could be the cause. Gill flukes are kind of rare but are a possibility. I’ve experienced fish resemble the symptoms you describe and lost female kribs where the males and other fish weren’t affected. My female kribs looked in a state of shock, fixed glare, pectoral pointed fins pointed down and motionless resting on the bottom of the tank with laboured breathing. I would say the female kribs are quite sensitive fish. Thinking back my tanks weren’t in the best of states as I was learning something new. I would say that with the open wounds, laboured breathing could point to ammonia poisoning. But the stringy poop points to internal bacteria infections... try a combination of Melafix and Pimafix which are natural remedies (tea tree oil) of internal issues as well as outer conditions. I’ve had success with these medications. I’ve also tried ‘dedicated’ medications like Internal Bacteria Infection treatments which sadly did nothing. Do some regular big water changes (around treatment) and ensure your filter(s) are performing well with general good tank husbandry will help and ensure you use a good water conditioner to new water.

Good luck! ☘️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back