• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Death of the mother after giving birth

nduli

Guys

Looking for some help. I walked into the kitchen yesterday to find a mature dead shrimp in the tank. Fairly sure this was a heavily berried shrimp which has given birth and I am sure that this is the second time that this has happened. I use ro and salty shrimp gh+ to circa 150tds. All other shrimp seem ok. Will be performing water change and filter clean in next few hrs anyway but any suggestions welcome. Only other point to note is that I have a major diatom outbreak on the front glass and this tank has been setup for 4months+

Richard

Sorry to hear this Richard, hope the shrimplets are ok.
With the improvement in the weather, has your tank received more light than usual and has the tank temperature increased significantly at all with the warmer weather? This could perhaps explain both diatoms and death if there has been any significant changes.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady

The shrimplets are fine. Just did big water change and saw 30+ CBS and crs careering around. The mother was massively berried and have heard of issues of the mothers effectively dying of exhaustion after having loads of shrimplets but wanted to know if others have seen similar issues. Water params are all ok. Re diatoms I am at a loss. Temp is same at circa 21. Only changes I have made in last 4 weeks has been to replace the old knackered 18w tropical bulb with an 18w daylight bulb and some new plants as well as stop ferts and lc. With the new bulb I moved it well away from the tank surface where it was before and I had some diatoms previously. Just confused as to why such an outbreak. Don't think it's getting more light than usual....but convention suggests it is

Back