• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Debris on gravel

Jaap

Hello everyone,

I see that some debris has been sitting on the gravel of my tank. I have Eleocharis Parvula that is just starting to cover the gravel and I was thinking if I add a few corrydoras would they help to elevate the debris for the filter to catch? Also will they be unrooting the Eleocharis Parvula?

Thanks

You need to ask "why is it sitting there?" mate. :) I had the same problem and had to adjust my circulation to an extent to prevent it, and also be a bit more proactive with water changes and get in there to syphon it out. Corys will root around. I have 6 in my tank and not seen anything floating yet although my Pogostemon Helferi and Staurogyne Repens carpets are reasonable well rooted. I have some hairgrass to, but not a lot and its quite widely spaced at the moment, so cannot comment on whether it would get disturbed much.

I feel like i have a really good flow in my tank, however i dont think i could possibly have enough to move all the detritus around my tank to the out take.

i like to do as clive suggeested to antipofish and do aggressive water changes, plus i always hover up any detritus off my gravel where possible, plus most days i will get my hands in there and give everything a good waft. I too have some coridorus and i think they do help to keep the mess moving :)

somethingfishy said:
I feel like i have a really good flow in my tank, however i dont think i could possibly have enough to move all the detritus around my tank to the out take.

i like to do as clive suggeested to antipofish and do aggressive water changes, plus i always hover up any detritus off my gravel where possible, plus most days i will get my hands in there and give everything a good waft. I too have some coridorus and i think they do help to keep the mess moving :)

Exackery ! :) I found a combination of ensuring my circulation actually reached the bottom PLUS Clive's suggestion of really shaking the plants up and getting in there to clean (in my case twice a week with a 50% to 70% water change same time) made a big difference. Now my plants are starting to look cleaner. (Although some of it is algae related to new tanks too)

Back