• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deep tank lighting

lurcher

I have aquired a deep tank, H26” xL39” x w16. I want to make a freshwater planted community tank with T5 lighting,please advise on tube wattage and how many tubes required .i was thinking 2x 39w tubes, would this be sufficient for success.please help lighting guys. I cant afford expensive set ups. Thank you.

What are you trying to grow (easy, medium or hard plants)
What type of aquarium are you seeking to keep (high or low energy) i.e added co2 etc..

I probably cant help you, but I also know that others may not be able to help unless they know a little more.

Well not so many years ago T5 lighting was by far the most popular lighting and the standard recommendations was 2xT5s the length of the tank for high tec and four if you wanted to live on the limit.
So as Miniandy says we would need a bit more info……

I have aquired a deep tank, H26” xL39” x w16. I want to make a freshwater planted community tank with T5 lighting,please advise on tube wattage and how many tubes required .i was thinking 2x 39w tubes, would this be sufficient for success.please help lighting guys. I cant afford expensive set ups. Thank you.
26" (66cm) is quite deep and lights that can deliver sufficient flux to a deep tank can be expensive. A high-density LED light would probably be a good choice in case you need strong light intensity at substrate level, but these would be expensive. It all depends on the type of tank you are planning: the light requirements for a deep tank with carpet plants and CO2 injection is very different from the same tank without carpet plants and no CO2 injection...

I want an easy plant tank, no co2, low light plants,nothing complicated,thats why i thought 2x39w t5 tubes.or do you think led would be more efficient.it will be heavily planted,microsorum, amazon sword, crypts etc.thank you all

I want an easy plant tank, no co2, low light plants,nothing complicated,thats why i thought 2x39w t5 tubes.or do you think led would be more efficient.it will be heavily planted,microsorum, amazon sword, crypts etc.thank you all
That'll be more than enough. My biggest tank is the same height as yours and I use 4x T5 bulbs (2 when I want to lower the lighting) and that's with CO2!

Back