• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deficiency or behaviour?

pepedopolous

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a plant problem? I have some Hygrophila pinnatifida and recently it's been losing a ton of leaves. They become yellow and then fall off.

The plants are putting out plenty of runners but even some of these are losing their leaves. On the whole though, I would say it is larger, older leaves that are coming off.

The aquarium has been running about a month and I dose using EI and have pressurized CO2.

As it says in the title, I'm not sure if this is a sign of some nutrient deficiency or behaviour- maybe making space to allow new runners to grow or just sacrificing old leaves?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

P

have you checked your co2 ? it sounds like poor co2 to me. its possible your bottle has run out ? or the co2 is not reaching where the pinnatafida is planted ?

Thanks for your reply!

CO2 levels and distribution are OK I think, though I could try adding some Easycarbo to see if that helps...
I have an Up atomiser on the filter inlet side. CO2 is on from 13:00-21:00. Lights are on from 15:00-22:00.
It is a cube aquarium and the drop checker is in the front right corner very close to the substrate. By 18:00 it's more yellow than green.

The plants concerned are at the back of the aquarium in the back right corner (where lily pipes are) going towards the middle.

About half the big leaves in this pic are gone now :(
IMG_3115.JPG

That's what I'm hoping! At the minute it looks a bit stupid with a tall bare stem and mainly leaves on top. However, there do seem to be new leaves starting to grow where the old ones were. However, I've seen plenty of smaller leaves come off too...

Thanks for the replies!
I'm using James' Planted Tank recipe for EI solution. This is 5ml for 50l but I'm adding 10. For Micros again I'm adding a bit more than the recommended 2.5ml. I guess adding 2ml of Easycarbo daily and upping the ferts some more can't do any harm. And hopefully it's just a case of the plant adjusting from emmersed to immersed.

pepedopolous said:
That's what I'm hoping! At the minute it looks a bit stupid with a tall bare stem and mainly leaves on top. However, there do seem to be new leaves starting to grow where the old ones were. However, I've seen plenty of smaller leaves come off too...

Well with lower light the plan will be super tall and only leaf on the top.
If it gets a bit more light or you trim it back it will be more compact.

whatever you do it's a runner. you can't stop it :D i bet after 2-3 months you will think about that if it was a good idea to use it, as it's runners will go everywhere in the tank. But i also love this plant becasue of the special leaf form. Lovely one.

On closer inspection, one of the plants isn't really rooted. It's runners that stop it from floating away!

I can increase the lighting a little bit cause at the moment it's only at 80% (TMC MiniLED 400).

Back