• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deleted thread

Unless they are wild strain, any dwarf Cichlid will be fine in a well maintained tank (apart from Microgeophagus ramirezi, which are genetically predisposed to dying due to interbreeding).

I had a great time keeping Jordanella floridae, which prefer the cooler temperatures that Cherry Barbs appreciate. They bred readily, and had a lot of personality (more so than any Cichlid I've kept). They're also voracious algae eaters, and surprisingly attractive when coloured up properly. Ignore pictures on google, as these apparently only show half dead specimens, they really are lookers when healthy!

That's a fair amount of fish in there already to be fair. Personally I'd just add a few amano shrimp and see how you get along with that. The Cory's and Barbs represent a reasonable bioload.

I might be wrong, but I thought most of the cichlids would make lunch of a planted tank?

I agree with Henry. I have a Apistogramma Hongsloi in my Angelfish tank and they make a stunning addition to the tank. Hes been in the tank for 3 years and he was already quite big when I got him, definitely hardy. Apistogramma Cacadoides <-- sorry for the spelling also known as cockatoo cichlid also makes a nice tank mate.

The dwarf cichlids should be fine in your tank. Only real danger will appear if they're breeding and in that case your cories will be the likely target since the barbs are quick and don't dwell near the bottom where the dwarf cichlids like to be.

Michael.

That's a fair amount of fish in there already to be fair. Personally I'd just add a few amano shrimp and see how you get along with that. The Cory's and Barbs represent a reasonable bioload.

I might be wrong, but I thought most of the cichlids would make lunch of a planted tank?

In a 350L well planted tank, I don't think there will be a problem with bioload. Dwarf cichlids tend to be carnivores and not big enough to pull up plants. Larger cichlids are a different story, however.

Look at bolivian rams too. Slightly bigger than the likes of apistogramma but beautiful once mature and won't damage your plants.
I'd steer clear of the kribs as they turn the place into a war zone when they breed. :)

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted

You could try some rainbow fish, they love hard water. Forktail Blue Eyes for example would add some contrast.

Deleted

Deleted

Deleted

Back