• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Desert Home - Minimal 45p

Hi guys, thought I would start a journal for my latest tank for a few Australian Desert Goby's, would love any advice from anyone with experience with these fish. The plan is to have the tank slightly brackish if needed, which I know nothing about at the moment! I enjoy researching and discovering new aspects of this hobby with each new tank / aquascape.

Tank - Fire Aqua 45p
Filter - ISTA External Mini Canister
Light - 45cm Chihiros A-Series Plus

Subsrate - ADA La Plata Sand and La Plata Big
Hardscape - Bog Wood logs
Plants - Emersed Lilaeopsis brasiliensis & frogbit

Fish - will be adding a pair of Australian Desert Goby's (Chlamydogobius eremius)

The tank will be kept outdoors in a small rack with 2 tanks below... hopefully with the low plant mass I can keep bad algae at bay, but I expect some.

Plan to keep the plants minimal and water level low, also I think I will clear the tannin stained water with purigen but I do like the look... Just added the Lilaeopsis today behind the big log so its all still a bit flat and tangled up, but should start to grow up a bit higher and be more visible.

45005834191_553ae48cdf_z.jpg
IMG_3194-HDR-Edit.jpg
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking good, trying to get some growth on the wood i guess.:thumbup:

Thanks, I had not actually thought about growing something on top of the wood, I am hoping to keep the Lilaeopsis localised behind the wood, I guess it could try creep up the wood but wont be able to take root.

Maybe I can try some kind of terrestrial moss

Hi all, I'm not sure that will work (or @Edvet's Utricularia suggestion) if the water is brackish.

cheers Darrel

From what I have read about the Australian Desert Gobys they dont actually need brackish water, so I dont think I will worry about that, probably better for any plants, tho I think Lilaeopsis does ok in brackish water.

Marine salt can also be added at a rate of around 1 teaspoon per litre should you wish, though the fish will survive and breed in pure freshwater provided it isn’t too soft or acidic.

Back