• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deserted island journal

Re: Desert island journal

This is going to be really great if you can pull it off. I really think you should go for a tall tank rather than what you have planned and fashion the rockwork using some cement and seiryu stone. That way you can have a good base and also fashion a cup/pot on top where you can plant the bonsai. Half the beauty of that pic is the spire of rock sinking into the depths.

That would be good.. Cement and Seiryu stone. I tough about it, but I am worried about how the cement may impact the water. I even thought about gluing seiryu stone to make a platform, but weight is an issue.. A tall tank would be good, but I am after no more than 40cm tall, making the tank only 120L, easier for me to take care off.

I may have the rock without seamlessly floating on the water.. like this...
article-1246457-0805B071000005DC-932_634x990-371x580.jpg

So fish would swim under and around. Also Java fern and Anubia's would drop the roots.

I found a way to get it suspended seamlessly.

Why don't you make it 40x40x40 with 60-80 the back wall keeping the design you've posted at the beginning? You could also go for a 30x30x30 and a 50-70 back wall, the smaller the better to maintain and you can use only with natural stones and some neoprene under the rock column (you can secure the column to the back wall with some strong magnets like the ones for cleaning, one end glued to the rock column)

great idea to follow luis and looks like it will be a cool setup.

I wouldnt go with the trees youve mentioned though. Ive grown bonsai for about 16 years and one of the most common things we get asked at shows it why tree have died when people have brought them inside. Unless its going to be in a kind of cold room or porch I wouldnt use cypress or juniper inside as the central heating will most likely kill them. You may get away with it from the evaporating water creating a more humid area but with them having no season inside the house I think youd have a much better chance with a tropical variety, Ficus like you mentioned or chinese elm. Youll also have to watch for any root rot if the roots are constanly submerged.

Usually if I want to display any of my outdoor trees then only come inside for 2 days max.

stuworrall said:
Unless its going to be in a kind of cold room or porch I wouldnt use cypress or juniper inside as the central heating will most likely kill them. You may get away with it from the evaporating water creating a more humid area but with them having no season inside the house I think youd have a much better chance with a tropical variety, Ficus like you mentioned or chinese elm.

Thanks.. I will take that tip onboard and start to look for a Ficus tree, cannot beat 16 years of experience... The roots will not be submerged. I will have hydrocoton, soil, then the bonsai on top of a rock with the roots tied down. I can buy small ficus bonsai at ikea, and most have exposed roots, so it can be achieved.

I bought a starter juniper, will have to figure out what to do with it now.. :) Maybe a tray with moss and the juniper on rock, will need to read more about it.

Will order the tank end of month, then in september I will sort out the lights and stand, that way the £££ impact is not so high. :)

ghostsword said:
I can buy small ficus bonsai at ikea, and most have exposed roots, so it can be achieved.

I bought one of these the other month and its been flowering for the last couple of weeks. Grown in in Flora-Base and some left over Naturesoil and it seems to have worked a treat. I want to properly wire it to train it to shape. Did you want me to take you a picture?

Thanks Neil.. Post some pics, they always help.

I repotted a Ficus tree about 6 months ago, on a much larger pot, and the tree is growing nicely. Has been on the garden for a while now, some leaves turned brown, but much more new leaves turned up. As the roots must be much bigger now I intend to uproot it, put fossilised wood under and then plant it again, so in time the roots will grow attached to the rock.

For the tank I will get a couple of starter ficus and let them fuse together, to make a wider tree. They should do good with the deep container for roots and the tank T5 light.

Mine is in no way pretending to be a 'true' bonsai as its neither in a tray (although I may change it one day) nor does it comply with any particular rules. More just a bit of fun and learning exercise for me as they were meant to be a forgiving species. Its a bit of a mess currently as I've let it go where I havn't had the time so it needs pruning, leaf exfoliation and some wiring but you get the idea;

img2081re.jpg

img2082dm.jpg

img2085r.jpg

Still has quite a 'trunky' looking trunk.

Do you really want a large tank or are you aiming for around 120L to be 'safe' ? I would say a good size would be 15-18 inches length and breadth with 10-12 inches height.

Cement : It is usually tank safe once fully cured. People use it often to make DIY tank backgrounds and even man made live rock in marine tanks has cement in it.

For the island design, you could make a birds foot shape at the base - main central portion with 'toes' going either side and front and back. I dont think it would balance well if the central column was just straight. You might have to make it lean gently from front to back or back to front. If you are using cement and seiryu to make the island pot thingy then you could fit in some suction cups at the back for extra support or cables to attach to the sides or something.

Damn I want to set up this tank now :(

EDIT : Dont know much about trees and bonsai but Ficus seems like a good bet, you could also have a look at neem and eucalyptus. I think you would have to stick to tropical trees mainly for this to work

@Neilw... Lovely tree, I like the flowers. I got mine for about 2 years and has not flowered yet. I repotted it today, placed a fossilized stone in between the roots. Hopefully it should envelop the stone and let the roots grow much ticker. In 6 months I will see how it is. :)

@Mortis .. I am comfortable with a 120l tank, would like bigger, but my home is small. Also, for what I want it is perfect, easy to manage and to work on.

Back