• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

DHG & ADA Amazonia Normal

FishWorks

Hey fellas,

I am planning a scape with DHG carpet on ADA Amazonia.
Will DHG grow healthy on ADA Amazonia Normal Grain?
or will i benefit from using ADA Amazonia Powder instead?
The reason I ask is because the powder grain costs quite a bit more.

Thanks

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi @FishWorks

You’ll find after six months you can no longer make out any grains with dwarf hair grass. The root system becomes very dense.

If you were doing a nano tank then powder would help with scale elsewhere in a mixed planted nano. If it’s a larger setup, inclined to say save the money and go with the standard sizing.

FishWorks

Hi @FishWorks

You’ll find after six months you can no longer make out any grains with dwarf hair grass. The root system becomes very dense.

If you were doing a nano tank then powder would help with scale elsewhere in a mixed planted nano. If it’s a larger setup, inclined to say save the money and go with the standard sizing.

Geoffrey,
So with either Normal Grain or Powder, grains cannot be seen after 6 months because of root density?
What is the size of a Nano tanks? I read its 54 liters or less?
I am doing a 200L tank, I guess I should use the Normal Grain then?

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
So with either Normal Grain or Powder, grains cannot be seen after 6 months because of root density?

Picture paints a thousand words and all that:

1621597958550.jpeg

That’s normal Amazonia after five months. You can see how it’s all turning to dust in the roots.

Either grain size will obviously work for a carpet. I only use powder in small scapes (50 litres or less) or on top of normal grain size on a slope. It sort of helps holding an incline together, but gravity always wins.

shangman

I recently had the same question, and I decided to buy a big bag of ADA Amazonia normal, and then some Tropica powder instead in a smaller bag for the front, because it was so much cheaper than the ADA powder. Fingers crossed it works ok! The big bag of normal Amazonia I got, I didn't think the grains are that big, they are still small, so if you just got that I think it would be fine.