• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Different types of T8 flourescent bulbs

Aeropars

Hello All,

I'm about to order some new bulbs from Lampspecs. My previous bulbs have lasted for years and I went primarily for 6500k daylight bulbs. I ran 4 x 30 watt T8s.

What would people recommend I go for? does it matter on the colour temperature? I'm sure I read ages ago about plants not caring about the colour temperature but I just want to be sure before I order.

All help appreciated.

No, they do not care mate, but you might. Check out the JamesC sticky at the top of the page.

Cheers,

Well, some feel that the more expensive bulbs look nicer and have a more pleasant color rendering of plants and fish, so it's worth it to them. kind of like the difference in beauty between costume jewelry and real diamonds. Ours is a visual art form, so light and color are the most important aesthetic element involved in our emotional response to the tank. This therefore is a legitimate reason for spending 3-10X as much for a bulb if one can actually see the difference. But bulbs are not marketed that way because it's very difficult to market an opinion or a subjective quality. Instead, they are marketed in terms of plant health, which is a more objective parameter, but which unfortunately, is complete hogwash. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Back