• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Difficulties scape

I like it. I think once the plants grow in everything will look and feel good. :)

My two cents since you asked for some feedback: I think levelling the sand out at the front would help. Having the left side the same thickness against the glass as the right would add some depth. Right now I think the left side is a little thick and the right a little thin. Adding some seiryu rubble near some of the larger stones would add a mature feeling too (like the rocks have eroded).

Hi !

Thnx for the feedback!

One essential thing I forgot to mention: we have 2 ancistrus (L number) fishes. When I level the sand, they digging the sand and well I can start all over again.

Suggestions for the right side behind the new stones ? Perhaps more java fern ? With some crypto and anubias?

Kind regards
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi !

Thnx for the feedback!

One essential thing I forgot to mention: we have 2 ancistrus (L number) fishes. When I level the sand, they digging the sand and well I can start all over again.

Suggestions for the right side behind the new stones ? Perhaps more java fern ? With some crypto and anubias?

Kind regards
Kevin
Had the same problem with my 2 ancistrus fishes... they kept digging in the sand. I removed them out of frustration.

My thought was that they didn't find a nice hiding space. My previous scape had a lot of wood and plants, so lot's of places for them to hide in. The one I have running now is an Iwagumi with a lot of open space and no places to hide.

Can some of you help me with this ? What's missing ?

Patience!?..

That's whats missing in most of us, including me at the beginning.. :) Something nobody can help you with but yourself. Sit back and enjoy your creation and let it grow in, mature and age.. And tweak it here and there along the way..

Most of us are rather all unexperienced when it comes to scaping if you do not several tanks a year.. Then you just have to wait and watch what it turns into over time and it probably will take many months before the next new experience comes up. I guess in average the general public makes 1 scape every 2 years or so.. That's 3 scapes in 6 years experience if you have only one aquarium to play with.. Aint that much in scaping experience.. But in this time you learn you need patience to see how the plants all grow into and contrast the hardscape.

It is normal that a scape no matter how you make it, the first months it always looks a bit unfinished or uncomplete. The more you work with the less is more concept the more uncomplete it will look the first months. It takes time for the plants to fill in the blanks. That's something you learn to visualize the final look once you know how certain plants will grow.

I experienced myself too, going for the more is more concept because it looked uncomplete in the beginning. By putting in more of this and that to make look bussy and complete from the start and turning out beeing way to much when all starts growing and maturing. And ended up with taking things out again, because it grew completely out of proportions.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" ;)

@Kevin2016 my good man, get yourself a scapefu dojo. Scape daily. You will improve faster than you think.

BTW: remove those two rightmost stones. If you can elevate the left hand side about 10%.

Back