• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dilema

j4the96

Seedling
Visited TGM last week and must try this aquascaping lark ;)

I've kept fish for over 20 years, planted tropicals and more recently Africans (low maintenance). I have my Malawis in a 5ft Set up with 150kgs Ocean Rock and coral sand. My experience with planted tanks has been pretty bad - probably due to poor equipment and no resources to research - we now have the internet :D

I also have a juwel vision 180 in the garage. My dilema is - option 1. Get a Luminare to fit the juwel 180 or buy a 60cm Do Aqua from TGM and get a smaller luminaire for that ?

I intend to get a new external filter, CO2, new decor, ADA Substrates for which ever one i go for.

Put your self in my shoes - what would you do

Thanks in advance

Ian

Hi Ian,
j4the96 said:
Visited TGM last week and must try this aquascaping lark
TGM is a great place, and great staff too!
j4the96 said:
My dilema is - option 1. Get a Luminare to fit the juwel 180 or buy a 60cm Do Aqua from TGM and get a smaller luminaire for that ?
Can i just ask do you still have the juwel lighting unit? if yes, is it the t5 or t8 unit, as twin t5 (with reflectors) over the juwel tank is ample to grow most plants, and t8's (with reflectors) will grow many species.
j4the96 said:
Put your self in my shoes - what would you do
Personally id dig out the Juwel 180, stick with stock lighting with reflectors (if you still have it), having saved all that expense of a new tank you can put more towards the set up to see if you like planted!.... of course you will like planted, then youll want an even bigger tank!...then youll be converting the 5ft malawi set up :lol: .
Noticed it was your 1st post so welcome to UKAPS.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hello Ian :) I'd go for the 180 too, its what I've started with and I think its a good size, room to work with but not quite as expensive on things like substrate and plants - jealous you've got the vision though! :D

Viv

Firstly welcome to UKAPS :) Its a great place to learn and fantastic people (yeah me too, lol).

It goes to show how people see things differently because before reading what Ady or Viv wrote my immediate thoughts were "Go for the 60cm". Why ? Because being new to planted it gives you options to try different scapes / plants without the expense of filling a bigger tank. I always thought I wanted a big tank. (Mine is an AQ1 Aquience, 175L, 80x45x55). And I have enjoyed what I am doing so far. BUT, having seen George Farmer's 60cm shallow tank in person, along with a lot of the other smaller tanks on here (stuworrall's springs immediately to mind but there are several others as well, forgive me guys for not naming you all !), I cannot wait to get a smaller setup too.

One thing to bear in mind is that the planted hobby CAN be expensive. Substrate (if you get the branded planted substrates etc) can cost an arm and a leg. Plants can be pricey, hardscape etc. Don't let that scare you though, because there are plenty of ways and means of doing it well, less expensively too. I just feel that a 60cm aquarium will allow you to find your feet with scaping nicely. You will need LESS of everything to put in it, therefore the cost will be lower, therefore you can run a scape for 3,4,5 months and rip it out (well sell the plants first, lol or keep what you want) and start again and learn more. It is, for me, more about what aquascaping is about. Some people want to have a planted tank that looks great and leave it 90% as it is and then just tinker. If thats you, then maybe stick with the Juwel. If you want to get into the scaping side and increase your learning curve, I would say go with the 60cm for now at least :) And maybe when you have found your feet more you can go for a big 120x55x55 setup and give Mark Evans a run for his money (LOL.... check out his journal on that tank, what an amazing scape... something we all strive for).

Good luck with whatever you choose. There will always be plenty of help and advice on here whichever set up you go for. And most of all, ENJOY ! :thumbup:

Hope that helps.

I'd personally for now save your money, stick with the vision and just get to grips with growing plants well and scaping, then if you feel the need to go for a 60 or what ever then you can. Being a juwel vision owner myself( but much bigger) I think they look great planted up. Alas I know longer have mine but I like the view they give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and welcoming me to this fantastic forum.

Still cant decide what i will do lol. Another problem i have is that i am about to move house and was thinking of setting the 180 up and cycling it in the new house so i can transfer my malawis from the 5ft into there. (be easier than moving the 5ft and rushing it - its pretty heavy one of those Maidenhead oak units.

I am quite impatient and im not sure if i could wait until ive transfered the malawis to the 5ft in my new house. Probably a month at the earliest. The 60cm tank will let me start scaping straight way. I think i would like a set up thayt was scaped well and lasted for a long time rather than rescaping every few months.

If i was to go for the 180 set up, i only have T8 tubes at the moment 2 x 25w tubes and understand i will need more light. I like the arcadia luminaires - would i need a 2 tube or 4 tube version ? Also any suggrestions about co2 would be appreciated.

Thanks again and congratulations on a fantastic forum

Ian

I would probably go with the 60cm tank to start with, a lot of problems when first getting into planted are caused by poor flow and circulation of nutrients and co2 so the smaller tank will be easier to get the circulation round. It will also be easier to strip down when your plants are growing well when the bug really hits and you want to transfer them to the bigger tank. :) At least you can get to grips with it on a smaller tank and keep all the plants you grow if you fancy a bigger set up.

Bearing in mind what you've said about impatience (know that feeling all too well!! :D) then I agree with AverageWhiteBloke - start with the 60cm (and use the 180 for the malawis during your move), then move onto the 180 if/when you want to and the fish are back in their 5ft tank.

I agree with Antipofish too but a 60cm tank wasn't big enough for me when I decided to have a go at a planted tank and to me the 180 was cheaper - the alternative was to start out with the 300l I had at the time! Still can't quite face the work or expense in converting my 450 to fully planted yet! One day though dammit!! :lol:

Viv

Back