• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Disappearing kuhlis

My kuhlis have always had a hiding space they all go to, and the hiding space tends to move around the tank over time. Last time I completely ripped apart my tank, 6 were still alive. Not sure what happened to the other 3.

But since rescaping I have absolutely no idea where they are hiding these days. I hadn't seen them for months, then last night I saw 2 out in the open. Whether the other 4 are still alive is beyond me. I can't for the life of me figure out where they are hiding.

Anyone know of a good way to coax them out? They've never responded to veggies, algae wafers etc.

They can bury in the substrate if they feel the need to really hide.
Bloodworm is pretty tasty, or if you want to go for a dry food snack I havent met a fish yet that doesnt go absolutely wild for the scent of TA Aquaculture's Earthworm sticks.
These are also best to put in after dark if youre hoping to do a good count of sneaky noodles

Edit: I still wouldnt expect to be able to see all your kuhliis at once, one of my pangios spent over a week totally MIA even during a process of removing every single plant in the tank. Turned out he was happily living inside a piece of driftwood :oops:

I’ve decided that my huuuge SAE’s are in fact capable of teleporting themselves inside rocks where they spend the majority of their time in suspended animation, nipping out only occasionally to stick their fins up at me!!

Suffice to say, I see them rarely!

If these chunky chaps can disappear, I bet ur Khuli’s would find it child’s play.

If you really want to find them, turn off all your filters, remove all possible noise, hold ur breath……and listen for them laughing at you! 👍

I've mentioned this before but we had over 200 khulis when an import got mixed up and even though I knew there were 200 in their I could normally only see a dozen or so until food hit the water and a crazy free for all happened. They seem to prefer peace and quiet but I'd be fairly confident in saying that although you can see them, the chances are they can see you, so feed, back away and you might have more luck.

The master hide and seek champion of the fish world that I've had was a two way battle between a marine dusky brotulid and a flaming prawn goby. A couple of brotulids came as hitchhikers and I was given them because I like attempting to breed marines and these are live bearers (which is rare in the sea), I was warned they were cryptic and I saw them the day I put them in the tank and then again the day I broke it down 5 or 6 years later (the chap had had them for 5 plus years before and they only had one rock before, I put them in a fully rocked tank). The goby lived with my zostera seahorses and panda gobies and was so cryptic as well that I saw it only when I moved the rocks to check it was still alive. I guess bite sized fish just know they are bottom of the food chain instinctively.

Back