• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus

jamesb

I know a lot of people say they are hard to keep but the article in this months pfk has made me think again about keeping them. One aspect that does puzzle me though is the magazine says 120l minimum tank size and 20l per fish. <br />
A: does this mean you could have 6 discus in a 120l tank or 1 then for every other fish you need 20 more litres of water?<br />
<br />
B: I was told in the past a group of 5 adults would need a tank in the region of 60gallons (us). That's a big difference I just wanted to hear other people's experiences and opinions<br />
<br />
<br />
Juwel rio 180<br />
2 angels<br />
2 Siamese flying foxes<br />
3 yo yo loaches<br />
4 Julii corys<br />
10 guppys<br />
1 German blue ram

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

Hi,
i must admit when i read that article in PFK i was surprised at the recommendation to say the least....to the point i questioned it being a typo....will be interesting to hear others opinions.
Big fish with big waste must need a very good filter and maticulous maintenance regime in that volume of water!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Well if I choose to do it in the future it would be a rio 180 with the internal filter and a jbl e700 external

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

But even a 180 seems small for a small group of 5 or 6 of them. I may write to the mag and ask as it does seem small

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

I was told the same a Maidenhead Aquatics, but I can't visualise 5-6 discus in my 160l tank :crazy: so I'm rethinking what I will stock my tank with once it's up and going. :?

i got 8 in a 600l, still having problems keeping the tank clean, bring on the big flow eheims...

its recomended 10 gallons per discus, Bare bottom tanks you can get away with more but they creat alot of poo and like plenty of fresh water. I keep discus they are not very hard to keep if you can provide plenty of very clean stable water

Back