• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dissolved Oxygen Testing

Bradders

Hi Everyone,

Keen to understand my aquarium's dissolved oxygen levels and CO2 levels.

Any recommendations on a good pieces of kit to do this which do not fall into the 'impossible to read' category?!

I did have a search online, then thought I was better off asking people who live and breathe this!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

Keen to understand my aquarium's dissolved oxygen levels and CO2 levels.

Any recommendations on a good pieces of kit to do this which do not fall into the 'impossible to read' category?!

I did have a search online, then thought I was better off asking people who live and breathe this!

Thanks in advance.

On the DO side, I've looked at these in the past:

This for a non-logging one:

and this for a logging meter so you can extract and graph data:

I've fancied having a DO meter for some time, but then I've always come back around to reality that I always do everything I can to maximise DO, so what will the meter really be able to do for me to aid my processes.

On the DO side, I've looked at these in the past:

I've fancied having a DO meter for some time, but then I've always come back around to reality that I always do everything I can to maximise DO, so what will the meter really be able to do for me to aid my processes.
the cheapest among optical. I'll go for it when I get bigger.
Thank you @_Maq_ ! Expensive!
Thank you @Wookii ! And agree, despite my technical brains need to know, I have questioned whether I need to!

So any suggestions on C02 reading?

I always do everything I can to maximise DO, so what will the meter really be able to do for me to aid my processes.
I can tell you that my stance about oxygen is identical but still I'd find DO meter very useful. Firstly, I'd map DO concentration in "normal" tanks during day & night. Then, I'd try to compare the effects of various aeration methods. Is my assumption that venturi is the best correct? I'd like to know. Thirdly, no matter how I try, incidents in my tanks do happen. Often simultaneously with temperature change, sometimes quite inexplicably. I would love measuring DO during these periods of crises, It'd tell me a lot about microbial life and other aspects of tank's well-being.

However, I don't recommend those membrane DO meters you've chosen. The membranes are expensive and need to be replaced quite often. The liquid is incredibly expensive. And the gadget as a whole did not impress me as very reliable. That's why I'd go for an optical meter. Alas, too expensive.

So any suggestions on C02 reading?

Personally I think it's difficult to beat an in tank drop checker, but that of course won't push out an accurate numerical value if that's what you are after. The only other way without incredibly expensive lab equipment is a pH meter, but again, that won't give you a direct measurement, and only estimates with some extrapolation and calculation.

However, I don't recommend those membrane DO meters you've chosen. The membranes are expensive and need to be replaced quite often. The liquid is incredibly expensive. And the gadget as a whole did not impress me as very reliable. That's why I'd go for an optical meter. Alas, too expensive.

Yep, the replaceable membranes put me off a bit too, and were another reason not to buy one, but if I were to get one, these membrane DO meters would be hard enough just justify the expenditure for on their own, so the optical ones would be well out of reach.

Last edited:
Hi all,
The problem with measuring dissolved gases is that all the kit is fairly expensive. That was why the drop checker and pH chart was developed to <"estimate CO2">.

In terms of dissolved oxygen meters, they are <"easy to calibrate and use">, the <"only problem is the cost">.

I'll add in @DeadFish as they are probably the best person to ask.
but I work in an aquaponics lab and teach aquaponics, so have access to equipment most do not.
I'm actually trying to buy some more DO meters at the moment for work.
Eventually I purchased a meter that measured pH, conductivity and dissolved oxygen (<"Hanna portable multi-parameter meter">). It has been good and reliable, but I wouldn't invest that amount of money (~£1600) just to use in the aquarium.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Eventually I purchased a meter that measured pH, conductivity and dissolved oxygen (<"Hanna portable multi-parameter meter">). It has been good and reliable, but I wouldn't invest that amount of money (~£1600) just to use in the aquarium.

cheers Darrel

Have you taken it home so measure the DO in one of your tanks Darrel? It would be really interesting to see the DO graphed over 24 hours in a low tech tank.

Instead of cancelling Christmas in favor of buying a piece of expensive measuring equipment :) DO can be determined fairly easily with a titration analysis. It may take a little bit of prior lab training and the precision is not great but should give you a fairly good ballpark idea.

Cheers,
Michael

Personally I think it's difficult to beat an in tank drop checker, but that of course won't push out an accurate numerical value if that's what you are after. The only other way without incredibly expensive lab equipment is a pH meter, but again, that won't give you a direct measurement, and only estimates with some extrapolation and calculation.
No, I think that would be fine. Any recommendations? (I ask as, once again, I was finding it tough to find one with the solution and the dropper).

Hi all,
but should give you a fairly good ballpark idea.
This is the quick and dirty <"temperature - DO saturation"> chart.

nomogram-gif.gif

That's my Christmas Day sorted, reading Darrel's report on his oxygen levels
It honestly sounds better than <"my average Christmas day">. Unfortunately I'm visiting in-laws, so you will have to wait until the new year.

cheers Darrel

Back