• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY 2foot Slate Cave/Tunnel

dfektor

I recently built a drift wood center piece and wanted to build my own slate caves, as i already stated my diy skills are crap but the where there is a will and all that

slate slate slate slate....
IMAG0838_zps1d9fbfd6.jpg
IMAG0839_zps703ed7f7.jpg
food safe inch dia discharge hose
IMAG0840_zps2a2b5871.jpg
IMAG0841_zpsf73200ec.jpg
IMAG0842_zps26cfd14f.jpg
IMAG0843_zps647187bf.jpg
Done!

Yeah the plecs and loach love it especially the clownloach at the front

Great idea looks the part. The only thing id say is that its going to need a flush through at some point as it will collect poop etc :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Alistair good idea.. thinking ahead!
I have a marina pipe cleaner which should do it without removal and upset well maybe an odd grumpy plec ;)

Sorry if my last post was a bit blunt, but lfs will often misadvise people about clown loach care and minimum numbers because they wouldn't sell if they said a minimum of 5/6 with a minimum tank size of 50-100 gallon for adult clowns. I like the caves idea too I might steal it for my clowns but use bigger pipe. I have 12 and they destroy any new plants added to their tank, any clowns larger than 4" can be very destructive where plants are concerned. the one in my avatar is around 7" and eats anubias flowers in one bite. If you ever want to get rid of him let me know.

Nice idea.
I think the entrance looks a little man-made, but if you get a roofing slate and break it up into small pieces, you could glue them on top of each other to make a more naturalistic shape.

5627412295_2f4beb968f.jpg

Perhaps as a solution to the crud in the tunnel, you could arrange a pipe to vent into a hidden part of the tubing so that, at the turn of a tap, you could rout your filter output through it to flush it out.
Actually don't do that. That's the sort of mad project that I dig myself into far too often.

Back