• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY ADA stand, which paint??

Re: DIY ADA stand, which paint??

depends what wood you've made it out of.

mdf usually needs a primer for example and you can get an edge sanding sealant to stop it from going fluffy on the corners where you're sanding.

hinch said:
depends what wood you've made it out of.

mdf usually needs a primer for example and you can get an edge sanding sealant to stop it from going fluffy on the corners where you're sanding.

It's Mdf mate. Got primer, just don't know which paint is best. Rustins do the blackboard paint, and also a metal and wood Matt paint. Both roughly same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think blackboard paint is more durable by design than simple matt paint. May be harder to get a decent finish with it though. If you have the choice, spraying rather than brushing would probably be best.

as long as you've got a primer pretty much anything will do :)

wouldn't really recommend matt though for a stand as water marks / streaks will be a horrible. go with a gloss or if you have to use matt use acrylic matt varnish ontop of the undercoat it comes in spray cans but I've never seen it sold anywhere apart from games workshop :(

Are you going for a matt finish then Alastair ? Might be worth thinking about what will look best after its been splashed with water every time you do a water change. When I make a stand I will be using a hi gloss finish I thing :)

Alastair said:
Well yeah I really fancied a Matt finish, but to get a nice high gloss finish I'd need to air brush the paint on and that more expense id have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its all money, no doubt about that. You could go to a paintshop and get them to do it for you. You might be pleasantly surprised at the cost. By the time you buy the paint and everything, plus your time it may be worthwhile. I had one sprayed in NZ, by a bathroom cabinet maker who had their own paint shop. It cost about £40 and had the same perfect finish that you see on gloss bathroom vanity units. It was vibrant orange !!! I wish I had not only kept it when I came back to the UK but also that I still had the disc that the pics were on :arghh:

my next cabinet will be rough- but new rail sleepers.

Saw that reef tank with the bricks and sleepers on the PFK site today. It looked great Darren!

Kris

darren636 said:
my next cabinet will be rough- but new rail sleepers.

Now that I would love to see :) I think there are two extremes with cabinets... an rail sleepers is at one end with perfect glossy modern being at the other. I like both ends of that scale. :thumbup:

someone did it already? Hmmm... Oh well !

darren636 said:
someone did it already? Hmmm... Oh well !

You could use bamboo canes tied together if you really want to be different. Or just clad a frame in it. :crazy:

I reckon the sleapers will look great whether its been done before or not. You can always put a personal stamp on things somehow :)

sorry about the hijack! But yes- i will make my own. And it will be very, very rough.

mine is tiny in comparison!

Back