• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

My Black and Decker mouse broke tonight :( lol sending my girt to B&Q tomorrow to get a replacement ;)

Lol I blew my last one up they are renowned for it look online loads of people complain about it I kept no for mine incase blows up, going to crack on with mine Tuesday as working till then and finned house decorating so that's my next project then crack on with scape, still not leak tested tank so will have to do that aswel

Thanks Dean

Yup it's toasted lol. The missus is going to get me a cheapy Argos one (£15) as they're 105 watt (mouse is 55 or something) and the 100+ reviews on it are ok. For the amount I use one...

Hoping to get the whole thing undercoated this weekend, the watered down emulsion seems to have gone on fine as a primer :)

I am getting urban grey emulsion for my colour then varnish ontop obviously undercoat/primer first, u use filler on edges or not ? Or just sand and priner

Thanks Dean

Just the sander mate. The more you sand the better the primer takes. If you fillered the edges you would only end up sanding it off again lol

That's true let iz know how u get on rob were u sanding for long then ? Last time I used sander wasn't long before blew lol only £15 better than doing by hand suppose, my undercoat is water based from b and q but should be fine, are u using wall emulsion then ? U decided on colour then rob ?

Thanks Dean

Just been doing 10/15 minutes each night mate, little uns in bed at 7 - 7.30 and the B&D mouse was well noisy so just had a few minutes each evening before then. Hasn't taken long, 30/40 minutes of sanding or so. Missus has picked me up a 135w cheapy sander from Argos today (£18, coz they didn't have the £15 one in stock lol) so hoping that will finish it off!!

Primer is just some white emulsion i've had for ages with a bit of water in it. I'll stick 2 or 3 coats on and then sand it all back and see how it looks. May just go top coat straight onto that. Yes colour will be Dulux Bowler Hat (dark graphite grey) probably in satinwood :)

Yeah that should finish it off, u been sanding in-between ever coat or just before foray coat ? Like u say do primer then see how looks, I am going to but a satin varnish on after emmsion I think just want to crack on with it now

Thanks Dean

Gave it a light all over sand tonight mate then rollered on another coat of watered down emulsion. Looking great right now! Will sand again tomorrow and then apply another coat or two of watered down emulsion then I reckon she'll be good for the colour ;)

Really pleased with how it's looking :)

I couldn't believe how easy to put together lol hope my screws are ok at 35mm but sure will be fine, get some pics up then when all ready, glad urs in going well mate

Thanks Dean

Counter sunk all holes while had spare hour tonight

yteba6a8.jpg

8e5y3ybu.jpg

And wood glued panels, havnt lined up aswel as they were before so sanding Tuesday I think

Thanks Dean

Attachments

• yteba6a8.jpg
    yteba6a8.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 8e5y3ybu.jpg
    8e5y3ybu.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 120
Yeh it'll be alright mate, sanding will sort out any loose edges. Been chipping away at mine, well, got another coat of primer on anyway. Edges don't seem to be taking on paint anymore so probably right to try the satinwood soon.

Had a spare piece of mdf sat around at home so sent it off to my brothers with some instructions and got it back within 2 days, result! Fixed it in just now, makes me way happier about supporting all the weight now ;)

5ffHIhA.jpg

:)

Attachments

• 5ffHIhA.jpg
    5ffHIhA.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 116
very nice rob does no harm better to be safe than sorry we are doing great lol ;) keep iz posted mate

Looking good Rob, I like the centre brace.

I'm glad your panels are the right size Dean, I was going to look like a right idiot if I did the drawing wrong! You just need to crack on with it now mate.

Next step will be some grey paint! ;)

Almostready_zpsbd2d21e0.jpg

I'm going to roller the outside and the the doors, and just do the inside with a brush. Anyone care to suggest if doing two coats of satinwood whether i'd be better to put a clear varnish on top or if the satinwood finish will be durable enough?! :)

Attachments

• Almostready_zpsbd2d21e0.jpg
    Almostready_zpsbd2d21e0.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 177
No clue about that but I know that looks great mate!! Have you done the cut out for hoses and such?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Very nice rob I am going extra safe and going to put varnish on providing you can get satin varnish, I still not decided what holes to cut either the moon shape at the top or 2 tubular ones each side what u doing mate ? Yesterday I filled all holes 2 times and smothed out so hipefukky get 2 coats primer on today

Dean

Back