• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

Good work Deano ;) haven't touched mine for a week now lol. The cats done a pi55 on the dust sheet it's stood on and in other news my under tank mat arrived from Ebay and is a coincidental perfect colour match for the paint :D

Re levelling, I'd been looking at rubber feet and then just pack it out to level it. Be interested to hear other peoples suggestions.

well got 3rd coat of varnish on :D finally, didn't sand in-between or anything but happy enough with the finish, not gloss but nice and slightly shiny and put water on a bit before and just lay there lol my kitchen floor isn't straight and level is there anything I can use to level the stand out ? hoping to try some scapes out next week

thanks dean
Good work Deano ;) haven't touched mine for a week now lol. The cats done a pi55 on the dust sheet it's stood on and in other news my under tank mat arrived from Ebay and is a coincidental perfect colour match for the paint :D

Re levelling, I'd been looking at rubber feet and then just pack it out to level it. Be interested to hear other peoples suggestions.

Plastic shims are ideal for levelling tanks on hard surfaces such as these

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=16123007

Or these which are perfect as you can snap off the excess
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=360697327414

brilliant thanks will get some of them shims ordered cheers Alistair also I currently have a small sheet under aquarium its from my tool box a liner but holds water when wet and worried if gets wets damages mdf do any of you have something under aquarium ontop of stand r just right ontop with nothing inbeetween

Dean

brilliant thanks will get some of them shims ordered cheers Alistair also I currently have a small sheet under aquarium its from my tool box a liner but holds water when wet and worried if gets wets damages mdf do any of you have something under aquarium ontop of stand r just right ontop with nothing inbeetween

Dean

Get a thin layer of closed cell foam.

My stand is 60cm x 30cm so should do I imagine thinks guys well here it is

u5urevyr.jpg

uvyqa4e2.jpg

4u2yzura.jpg

ynynyha9.jpg

8yzugeba.jpg

a8ubudy7.jpg

asenu6eq.jpg

na4ymu4u.jpg

by5a7u8u.jpg

The only problem is the door it sticks out a mil or 2 and its holding itself on there as a little tight think I will sand down edges and re-do but fine for days in work for now

I would like to thank everyone who pitched in an helping me build this in any way shape or form I am very happy with it and its a massive improvement especially for the drawings

Thanks Dean

Attachments

• u5urevyr.jpg
    u5urevyr.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 156
  • uvyqa4e2.jpg
    uvyqa4e2.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 1,102
  • 4u2yzura.jpg
    4u2yzura.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 141
  • ynynyha9.jpg
    ynynyha9.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 8yzugeba.jpg
    8yzugeba.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 138
  • asenu6eq.jpg
    asenu6eq.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 140
  • a8ubudy7.jpg
    a8ubudy7.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 139
  • na4ymu4u.jpg
    na4ymu4u.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 134
  • by5a7u8u.jpg
    by5a7u8u.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 128
You've done really well mate ;) the 60x30 tank mat on Ebay should be perfect for you, cheaper than the bigger one as well ;)

That looks really smart Dean. Got mine finished too. Not as pretty as your two but will hopefully stay standing.
2uqytera.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2uqytera.jpg
    2uqytera.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 125
Looks great Lindy, I think we can all be proud of our efforts :)

Looks great Lindy, I think we can all be proud of our efforts :)
Very proud, don't forget this is the first time most of you have done this. the finishes you guys are getting are excellent.
It looks like you did a good job of stripping that bad paint job lindy, that was a bit of a bummer and could have made a right mess but you rescued it well and if your not 100% happy just sand it flat and add another top coat when you next do a rescape.
We just need to see Mr Whiteside's finished photos now, and then we can see how the pro's do it. No pressure

Cannot find the smaller one rob can u post a link ? Looked at his other items but unable to find

Thanks Dean

That's some good looking DIY :cool:

Saved a bundle and still ended up with awesome stands:what:

It's good that you've collaborated on this thread as it'll be a grata help to future enthusiasts

Not to everyone's taste I'm sure, yellow insides?...

20140302_200749_zps28ef1441.jpg

Was going to do lime green to match living room (it's not that loud, honest lol) but obviously chucked tin of paint I thought I had. So picked up the next tub with some left in (yes this colour is a 3 year olds bedroom!).

Not that much left to do :)

Attachments

• 20140302_200749_zps28ef1441.jpg
    20140302_200749_zps28ef1441.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 124
At least you won't need a light in there :confused:

took the words out of my mouth james, looking good rob and thanks for the link couldn't find it lol

Dean

Back