• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY driftwood centrepiece

dfektor

Ok for my Temporary Tank I need some drift wood for some hungry plecs, Luckily I GOT WOOD! (hehe nonono!) looking thru my shed I found these two piecies which were originally one piece which was really bulky!
imag0754i.jpg

imag0759n.jpg

Lets just get the obvious dealt with my DIY skills are pretty shocking and woodwork skills even worse I cant even saw straight :eek:

imag0760r.jpg
:bounce:
both ends of this wood are rough sawn (and not straight oops!)
and I really wanted a more natural effect no cut marks more dimension!
So out comes drill, dremel, pliers and chisel, time to rough it up!!
imag0755q.jpg
imag0758l.jpg
imag0762lq.jpg

imag0756a.jpg

Now these Lengths are 20" ish the wont fit in the 15 inch bowfront which means more wonky sawing!
Yup Wonky!!
imag0765j.jpg

offcut will serve as a foot
imag0768t.jpg
imag0769gk.jpg

connecting the two top pieces
imag0770s.jpg

imag0771h.jpg

imag0777n.jpg

imag0776b.jpg

imag0775h.jpg

imag0774h.jpg

So it's been in the tank a lil while, tried gluing some riccia on it with lil luck as the plecs just ravage it!!!
and im still waiting for it to sink!
but this is what it looked like out of water. What do you think so far???Any Thoughts?

Looks like a moose.:). Was a nice piece of wood when you started.:). Are you going to grow moss up or on it.? Come on let's see it in the tank.:)

Lol weird déjàvu :hilarious:okay will update today or tomorrow...
Used super glue on the dowels then silicone round the join's
Its taking 2kilos to sink this mother!!!

In tank shots
IMAG0966_zpsfb62e753.jpg
IMAG0967_zps4d44dacc.jpg
has proved very popular with plecos and bamboo shrimp that live in the crack down the middle, it provides enough shade for plecs and still lets you view them which is what I was aiming for...but what do you guys think? drowned moose????:D

Drowned moose lol. :), no I actually like it now its in the tank, its surving a purpose creating a happy place for the plec a bit to knaw at ,they like there wood. It would look very pleasing to the eye with some flame moose on the top too.:). Nice job.:)

Ok one vote for Flame moss (or flame moose depending on your part of the country?!)
Any other opinions on what to mop top this bad boy with?
Fissidens? Xmas moss?

Back