• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Lid

You won't need to do that as the new light unit would sit below on the aluminum edges!
Even if I got that NICrew light? It has those annoying metal hinges that make it sit above the aquarium, but I'd probably try to remove them if possible and make it sit on the lip of the tank, somehow!

Purchase a few Acrylic Squares that fit inside the old unit....and silicone them in so flush with the edges of the old light unit!
Then bond the Nicrew light to those and around some of the edges if needed!
Even if I got that NICrew light? It has those annoying metal hinges that make it sit above the aquarium, but I'd probably try to remove them if possible and make it sit on the lip of the tank, somehow!
Those are removable!

Similar to the perspex you used in your flex, but more square and without the holes? So would those attach to the old unit, and not the new light? And the new light would be siliconed these new squares and potentially intermittently with the existing unit more towards the middle?
Sorry for all the questions, never really DIY'd aquarium stuff before!
Thanks again

Thank you again, you've been a big help I wasn't sure what to do. Serves me right for buying a Portuguese aquarium! I really liked that it had 10mm glass instead of the 6mm similar jewel aquariums were using, plus the base is rock solid and not 1cm chipboard. Will update the thread once done, you never know someone else might be in the same boat in the future.

Depends on how you want to go about modifying the light obviously there are other options!
I like the easy way out.

Will post pics tomorrow of how it looks with the existing unit removed. Have a good night and thank you.

Would you use that or the heat resistant one you used?
I would use the above...as you will have an air gap between the old and new unit!

Just watching a video review of the c10 light unit and notes the reviewers nifty idea. Seems he has bonded some sort of rubber or plastic strip to the aquarium that the lights can rest on. Handy if you don't have a lip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_200734_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_200734_YouTube.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 65
Just out of interest, I just measured the lux output of the current light. It's about 3200 if I place the light the same distance away from sensor as it is from the substrate. Does that suggest it does need replacing or is that a good or bad amount for a low tech setup?

Last edited:
That makes it about 18 lux per liter, which Tropica say is fine for their easy plants btw.

The light unit I am looking at is 86.8cm, my tank is 96cm from inside of the glass to the other side, so not much of the surface wouldn't have a light directly above.

Back