• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Light Rail - Material/Size/Bender

If you use square section tubing it will be stronger. To create bends, at the point of the bend cut 90degrees of the section away, leaving only the outside bend. So, you've cut three sides and left only one. But with a 90 degree gap missing you can now easily bend the frame until the cut edges meet to give you your set 90 bend. If you did this in the two correct positions along a length. Then just take it to a workshop, garage or anyone with a mig welder to finish the job.
Does that make sense?? If not I can do a drawing later.

Understood GFish. Good idea.

So basically, what gfish is saying is mark your height of your external angles. Same on both sides, allowing just the right width in the centre for your cabinet. Then cut 2 45 Degree cuts on either side to give you a 90Degree notch.

Then get them welded.

Alternatively just cut them off separate, for ease as cutting 'notches' could become fiddly.

drop a PM to freshwatershrimp, the NA light arms are great and cheap.. i tossed around a few ideas and even had one fabricated but ended up with NA. I believe mark evans has a DIY one from chromed wardbrobe rail if you check his journal. Thing is the 22mm chromed copper bends are a tenner each plus the tubing and brackets it soon adds up with copper prices as they are. My NA one was about £50 but prices have been revised since...??
old pic
IMG_1653.jpg

Not sure if its been mentioned but you don't have to bend anything. You could use the same conduit electricians use and just fit a 90degree bend on it... As long as you use a good few conduit clips in the side of your stand or have a weighted base the weight of the LED will be fine

Plus your an run all cable within the conduit so super neat

It might not w a chrome rail but the industrial look can be pretty cool IMO

I have opted for B&Q 19mm Chrome plated plastic pipe (seems pretty strong), with 90 degree bends and brackets for the cabinet. Cost me £50 which is a lot if this idea fails but if it works Ive made a saving!
My tank will arrive next week and away I go!
The NA ones are £50 also
Well at least yours has that personal touch aye haha ;)

Back