• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you agree with Alan

PARAGUAY

Read something about Alan Tit hmarsh critical of the show gardens at this year's Chelsea Flower Show, he seems to be saying although what some are supporting is reflecting what todays society expects, but many are not gardens at all,

Not a fan. Thankfully he hasn’t had much air time since he was booted from Gardeners World and The RHS Chelsea Flower Show. His attention grabbing headline appears to be about how he doesn’t like gardens that look after themselves. Something to do with not taming nature and loosing proper gardening skills. But times have changed, folk have less space and time and tend to be more sympathetic to the environment and wildlife. Not that I don't find them very appealing, but "proper" gardens are not too dissimilar from intensive agriculture with huge investments in water, machinery, chemicals, fuel and time, and aren't particularly sustainable. So no I don't agree, but there is room for all types of gardens and gardeners and I think it's great that Chelsea is moving with the times otherwise it risks becoming irrelevant.

I think he's made his comments in order to get noticed.
People's lifestyles have changed dramatically in the last 50 years & they simply don't have the time (or the desire) for learning techniques such as double digging, layering & grafting. Most plants can now be bought from garden centres & nurseries so there isn't even a need to take cuttings!
I would far rather have a self-sustaining garden full of healthy plants, bees, butterflies & birds than a desert of fake grass, slabs, decking & plastic plants which seems to be becoming more popular nowadays!

Hi all,
Most plants can now be bought from garden centres & nurseries so there isn't even a need to take cuttings!
Noooooo, if you see a plant you covet, you must find out if it will grow as a cutting, and what type and when ........ then you locate a plant, and take a cutting. If / when it grows, you have a real feeling of achievement, even if you could have bought it for £2 and saved a lot of mucking about.
I would far rather have a self-sustaining garden full of healthy plants, bees, butterflies & birds than a desert of fake grass, slabs, decking & plastic plants which seems to be becoming more popular nowadays!
Same for me, I do less and less gardening and more "curating".

Cheers Darrel

For me it's a relief - people with gardens have a duty to create habitat for wildlife, they don't have anywhere else to go. There is so little wilderness out there in the UK, and so much harmful argicultural practices used, gardens are a precious refuge for our wildlife. If more people take up ""easy"" gardening and help our inverts, insects, birds, amphibians and mammals, it is for the benefit of us all and tbh it's essential their (and our!!) survival.

There's also nothing stopping anyone from putting a few unsual plants in, look at Great Dixter -here's a link to their biodiversity audit- , Dixter has an enormous variety of amazing plants from around the world, and it's one of the most biodiverse places in the UK because of it. It's such a beautiful place, made even more so by the buzzing of insects, singing of birds and all sorts of other wonderful creatures like great crested newts in their ponds. One of the most useful things we can do for our wildlife is to grow flowering and fruiting plants which provide food year-round, so we can mix in interesting and resiliant plants from around the world in with our native species to create beautiful gardens for people and wildlife together.

A few days ago planted Sunflower seeds with the granddaughter ,whether it's the weather the seedlings are pushing through already ,the look on her face at 5years old is priceless,and naming the fish in the aquariums ,hopefully a naturalist of the future🙂

Noooooo, if you see a plant you covet, you must find out if it will grow as a cutting, and what type and when ........ then you locate a plant, and take a cutting. If / when it grows, you have a real feeling of achievement, even if you could have bought it for £2 and saved a lot of mucking about.
100% agree with this. Its not just the end goal, but also how you get there.

Everything the same and everything easy is just boring.

Exactly that. As a kid I’d follow dad around Kew for instance, and when he thought no one was watching he’d produce a plastic bag and take the odd cutting while mum kept a lookout. Of course Bonnie and Clyde would claim their high stakes botanical larcenies were altruistic. I think the excuse was something to do with plant conservation, supporting National Plant Collections etc. True to his word dad would inevitably grow the cuttings on and share or swap with fellow gardeners. And for me this still remains part of the gardening experience.

I entirely agree with you, I'm the sort who picks up broken plant stems at garden centres to see if they'll grow & I'm always buying the "reduced to clear" ones to give them a chance!
I was thinking more about people who feel gardening from scratch is too complicated & time consuming so a collection of ready-growing plants would give them a head start. I suppose it also appeals to the impatient folk who don't want to wait for things to grow!

I stopped watching the coverage of the Chelsea Flower Show a long time a go so my comments aren't based on recent gardens/events.
If we're being critical I'd say that some of the 'gardens' on show aren't really gardens but more like art installations. They often use plants that are held back or forced to flower late/early. Planting combination that would never work in reality. The use of these practices create beautiful displays but aren't practical.
"proper" gardens are not too dissimilar from intensive agriculture with huge investments in water, machinery, chemicals, fuel and time, and aren't particularly sustainable.
^ totally agree. With water being such a precious resource and the processing required before it gets to our houses to make it potable, it's a waste to pour it on the garden. Not to mention that accumulation of minerals in pots is detrimental to plants.

In my previous garden I was cutting the small area of grass out the front one day and thought I'm wasting time I'll never get back, to tend to something I get no enjoyment from.
I removed all the grass used a deep mulch of gravel to retain moisture and planted with drought tolerant plants. I refused to water and what lived lived and what didn't, didn't belong there. Within a few years I had a colourful mix of plants that to me at least looked far better than a patch of grass, took less time to maintain and certainly attracted more wildlife (both wanted and unwanted).
IMG_20230711_121418.jpg

Hi all,
I refused to water and what lived lived and what didn't, didn't belong there. Within a few years I had a colourful mix of plants
That looks great, it would make me happy every time I saw it. I just love the Helianthemum, Erigeron, Osteospermum, Aquilegia, Campanula, Sedum, Verbena bonarensis etc. I definitely think <"not watering"> and <"limited intervention"> is the way forward.
I removed all the grass used a deep mulch of gravel to retain moisture and planted with drought tolerant plants. I refused to water and what lived lived and what didn't, didn't belong there. Within a few years I had a colourful mix of plants that to me at least looked far better than a patch of grass, took less time to maintain and certainly attracted more wildlife (both wanted and unwanted).
Same for me, I converted the little patch of <"front lawn into a pond"> and the <"spare" car parking"> into a <"gravel garden">. It is just a win, win situation, less maintenance and an attractive biodiverse environment.

@ScareCrow do you still have <"Scutellaria suffrutescens">? I grew a cutting (and it survived the winter outside), but it hasn't flowered yet.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
In my previous garden I was cutting the small area of grass out the front one day and thought I'm wasting time I'll never get back, to tend to something I get no enjoyment from.

We came to a similar conclusion in this, our new/current house - the first time we've ever had any 'front lawn'. After about the 5th mow we thought "why are we mowing a lawn that we never ever use?"

So we are in the process of stripping back the grass and are going to seed it with wild/meadow flower seed to make a mini-meadow - less maintenance, much more attractive, and hopefully a boon for all the birds and insect we gets here currently.

Hi all,
After about the 5th mow we thought "why are we mowing a lawn that we never ever use?"
That is the real question, how many people sit on their front garden lawn? I'm going to guess it is a very small proportion of front lawn owners, and that 99% of <"front lawn interactions"> involve a single home owner and a mower.

I don't think this applies to our stateside members? Where I believe that you can buy a (pre-1986) machine-gun over the counter, but if you don't have (and mow) your front lawn they send around a SWAT squad <"and mow it for you">.

cheers Darrel

I don't think this applies to our stateside members? Where I believe that you can buy a (pre-1986) machine-gun over the counter, but if you don't have (and mow) your front lawn they send around a SWAT squad <"and mow it for you">.

cheers Darrel

:lol: True story. In my city the ordinance says that lawns much be maintained and grass not exceed 8 inch in height. If in violation you can be cited and the city can choose to mow your lawn at your expense. The reality is that this ordinance is rarely ever enforced, at least not in my neighborhood. With the city's push for more urban forrest and nature gardening (leave nature alone), no-mow movement etc. I doubt this ordinance will ever be enforced again.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Where I believe that you can buy a (pre-1986) machine-gun over the counter
Federal law prohibits the possession of newly manufactured machine guns, but permits the transfer of machine guns lawfully owned prior to May 19, 1986, if the transfer is approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives. As a result, a substantial number of machine guns are still in circulation.

Darrel, let me know if you need one :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back