• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

do you really need to replace filter media?

jarthel

I'm talking about media like noodles, bioballs and sintered glass. Do you really need to replace these? They are not like carbon and other "absorbing" material (various media from seachem and etc) that get spent.

I can see the logic in cleaning them as part of a routine maintaing the canister. but replacing them? the only reason I can think of is if there is too much "goo" in the media hampering the flow (if this is possible). I would then use clean media and I can clean the old ones to be reused?

Can you please enlightened me?

Thank you very much

Hi,
It seems like if you practice good regular filter maintenance then they should last quite a while. I'm too cheap to lay out major dosh every 6 months for this stuff so I haven't bothered. the main thing is to keep detritus from clogging the pores of the material.

Cheers,

When ever you clean your filter media always clean the media using spent tank water - drain some water off when you do a water change (I save 25 ltr) tip some water into a bucket and prewash to remove the majority of the dirt and then tip that water away - refill bucket and wash again. Clean media :thumbup:

Regards
Paul.

thanks everyone :)

Back