• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does High Nitrite levels induce algae?

Aqua Hero

I know high ammonia levels cause algae and high nitrate doesn't buy what about Nitrite?

I'm still cycling my tank and my ammonia levels have subsided and my nitrite levels are high.

Do high nitrite levels promote algae growth?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Even this notion of high ammonia causing algae isn't really widely accepted. Some people fertilize with ammonia and don't report much of a difference in algae. It could be that other substances generated with ammonia during natural decomposition of organic matter would be the ones triggering algae, so we see an association of algae trigger when ammonia is increased. It would explain why pure ammonia wouldn't cause the same issues.

In any case, I don't know of any relation between nitrites and algae, but it seems to me that nitrite is a more toxic substance, compared to ammonia. Maybe? It may be because its toxicity isn't affected by pH, like it happens with ammonia. So it could be possible that nitrites would hurt the plants, which would then trigger algae. Just speculation, though.

Back