• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does high tech necessitate regular water changes?

Good call, like is posted many times in here and sounds a bit cheesy but the plants will let you know what they think of your lighting. Running with the lighting you already have keep an eye out for co2 or nutrient related problems. If you haven't already checked out these or this on algae and this on deficiency they're are worth a read. If you see any problems the next step is either increase ferts and introduce co2 albeit liquid or gas or drop the lighting. The lighting you have is adequate for growing majority of stuff and like Clive says you don't need v high lighting for carpeting stuff just everything else in check and it will grow, just slower.

Remember though once you up the lights and the tech you also up the work load of the tank and problems manifest quicker.

LancsRick said:
Thanks guys, hugely informative posts and discussions in here.

I think I'm going to approach this with the following strategy:

- Run both the T5 tubes with reflectors, which will give me circa 2wpg.
- Do not run CO2
- Dose the 5ml/50l of all in one fert recommended

That should keep me in the "low tech" spectrum, which I know I'm comfortable with. If the light intensity and depth of tank means I fail to achieve carpeting (acknowledging that it is likely to be slow due to no CO2), then I'll consider stepping up to high tech - i.e. raise the lighting level and increase CO2 and fert dosing to match. I don't feel the need for faster plant growth justifies (in my mind) the increased maintenance burden that CO2 & EI will bring, but if I need to make the step to enable a broader range of plants to flourish, that might be a motivating factor for me.
Hi Rick,
personally if opting for no c02 id run the 2x t8's, as opposed to the t5's. High light and no c02 is a recipie for disaster, i know Troi has suggested he finds this the best way on the low tech route. As suggested already, carpeting plants are more needy of c02 than high light, so be careful when choosing, maybe less demanding species such as marselia hirsuta would be an option. The other thing to consider with low tech is that c02 fluctuations cause algae, water changes alone can cause c02 fluctuations so therefore fewer smaller water changes are better in keeping things stable.
Good luck,
Ady.

Thanks Ady. I was thinking that the PAR at gravel-level would be better without being excessive by using the T5s? I'm aware that the tank is reasonably deep.

That said, there's absolutely no reason why I couldn't run the T8s and then maybe try the T5s at some point in the future for a brief experiment...

Good shout Ady, cheers!

Or maybe get some floating plants.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Or maybe get some floating plants.

Good suggestion, but they drive me nuts! Not nearly orderly enough for my liking :p.

I know what you mean, I had some duck weed sneak in on wisteria and I'm still trying to get rid of it.

Back