• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing extra if using only gravel?

Shades

As title says, i have a second tank which has been up and running for about 3 years now which wasn't setup for plants.
I was thinking of adding plants but with it only having fine gravel substrate would i need to add more ferts(ei dosing) than is recommended with there not being as much nutrients in the gravel substrate?.

Thanks.

with it only having fine gravel substrate would i need to add more ferts(ei dosing) than is recommended

Hi
sorry but not sure i understand the question.More ferts recommended by what the bottle,EI receipe?
EI is intended to give the plants more than they can uptake.
Course, none of this might be needed in the intended tank e.g in a low energy tank growing mosses, Anubias & ferns
What were the plans, what's the tank?

Sorry stu, it's any tank in general(low tech/high tech).
Say you had 2 60l tanks 1 with only gravel and 1 with a good substrate would you EI Dose the same amount in each tank bearing in mind there's going to be more nutrients for the plants in the one with the good substrate.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Hi,
I would dose the same for both situations, its easier. You could likely get away with leaner dosing on an enriched soil tank, but plant mass above and below substrate, lighting intensity, co2 availability and distribution will dictate/limit growth rates and nutrient uptake :)
Dose as per the instructions and let the plants show you what they need, in most situations recommended dosage is ample.
Cheerio
Ady

Back