• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing in the Dark

hotweldfire

I get up in the morning, the lights on my tank are all off
I come home in the evening, the lights on my tank are now not off
Plants in my tank are tired, they're tired without their proper ferts
Hey there baby, seeing my plants die really hurts

I could dose in the morning, I could dose even though the lights aren't on
I could dose in the evening even though the light won't be on for long

:clap:

I'm having a stressful day at work, and that was a great bit of silliness to break the mood!

Thanks mate, glad I cheered you up :D The chorus is wrong though - should end with dosing in the dark.

There was a serious question behind the silliness though. Have recently reduced my lighting from 12 to 8 hrs a day and have set them for 12-8 so I get to see the tank at night. This means that when I leave the house at around 8am and do the daily dose the lights won't come on for another 4 hours.

I'm assuming the plants aren't going to be using the ferts until the tank wakes up but will they still be in the water column? I know the solution is to get some automatic dosing gear but I've already got way too many tubes and wires running up to the tank as is and no room in the alcove cupboard the tank sits on (without evicting some of my wife's shoe collection :rolleyes: ).

The other issue is my Koralia - I have it off at night to give the microrasbora a break (they hail from sluggish waters). However, because I'm dosing at 8am I have it come on then. I would much rather not have it come on until 11am when the CO2 turns on but my external is so weak (300lph on a 125l tank) that I feel I need it to push the ferts around. However, is this a waste of time given the plants are asleep?

Hi,
Plants use nutrients all the time but much more so during the photoperiod. However, the time of day that you dose is not important. Dose whenever it is convenient for you and do not worry about lights versus no lights.

Flow rates are only important when CO2 and lights are on, therefore you can tailor your supplemental pumps to coincide with this sequence.

Cheers,

Back