• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Dragon stone and spider wood hardscape opinions/critique

BrysonZheng

I've been putting this together, can I get some opinions on what people think about it? It's not complete but there's only detail work to be done. It's made of dragon stone and spider wood hot glued together. The "theme" I'm going for is something along the lines of trees/branches protruding from rock. Constructive criticism accepted!

d305343911137462f3af88de79dbfa1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrysonZheng

"hot glued together" The only Hot glue I know and worked with for many years is certainly not water proof.

It's hard to criticise a few rocks and wood glued together. Once in a completed tank it will look completely different.
It's different in fact it is a little confusing to look at.

With your next photo wet it first this will give you a better idea of the natural colours of the rocks and wood.

Keith:wave::wave:

BrysonZheng

"hot glued together" The only Hot glue I know and worked with for many years is certainly not water proof.

It's hard to criticise a few rocks and wood glued together. Once in a completed tank it will look completely different.

With your next photo wet it first this will give you a better idea of the natural colours of the rocks and wood.

Here's a wet pic
6c4601d10481d19a7a810195bb100fa7.jpg

The hot glue I use has been safe for fish and inverts as far as I can tell, and it certainly holds well. I've got a separate piece of hardscape that's held together with hot glue and all sections are firm and have stayed so even when waterlogged. What do you mean by waterproof? I'm not concerned by water getting through, do you mean if it will be able to hold underwater? Also I don't understand what you mean when you say it's confusing to look at, are there too many pieces of rock and wood? Thanks!

Bryson

The hot glue I use has been safe for fish and inverts as far as I can tell, and it certainly holds well.
As far safe that's new to me

I've got a separate piece of hardscape that's held together with hot glue and all sections are firm and have stayed so even when waterlogged.
I am referring to being in a tank. The hot glue I know will slowly break down.

What do you mean by waterproof? I'm not concerned by water getting through, do you mean if it will be able to hold underwater?
I have used aquarium safe silicone glue many times its safe and is perfect for that job.

Also I don't understand what you mean when you say it's confusing to look at, are there too many pieces of rock and wood? Thanks!

"Confusing"
Something that is confusing makes you feel confused because it is difficult to understand:
CONFUSING | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

In my opinion I find it difficult to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Bryson

"Confusing"
Something that is confusing makes you feel confused because it is difficult to understand:
CONFUSING | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

In my opinion I find it difficult to understand what you are trying to achieve.

I stated in my first post that the theme was to have it look like roots coming out of a pile of rocks. I know what confusing means, you didn't have to go out of your way to google it for me, I can press keys too! I appreciate the criticism but if you aren't going to tell me what's confusing without giving me tips on how I could improve it, I don't see the point. You were an aquascaping judge right? That means that you'd be able to pick out areas I could improve. In my opinion, I find it difficult to understand why you say it's confusing but not give any reason! Thank you!

Bryson

I’m with Keith on this (I think ;))

the construct is confusing to the eye ... perhaps because of the similarities in color it’s unclear where wood & rock end/begin ... perhaps because the joining of bits of wood onto stone is “unnatural” - the most leftward wood/stone construct appears as “horned rock” rather than driftwood caught up a rockpile

Of course, as long as you find it appealing that is really all that counts :)

In this live Aquascaping event, Filipe Oliveira attaches wood to stone ... while there are some “unlikely” joins, overall the effect is wood & stone caught up together ... and once planted it is one of my favourite scapes (though I suspect FO would trim it differently than its present maintenance)

Looking at your wood/stone, I can’t really imagine what will happen next ie how to use it in a scape

I’m with Keith on this (I think ;))

the construct is confusing to the eye ... perhaps because of the similarities in color it’s unclear where wood & rock end/begin ... perhaps because the joining of bits of wood onto stone is “unnatural” - the most leftward wood/stone construct appears as “horned rock” rather than driftwood caught up a rockpile

Of course, as long as you find it appealing that is really all that counts :)

In this live Aquascaping event, Filipe Oliveira attaches wood to stone ... while there are some “unlikely” joins, overall the effect is wood & stone caught up together ... and once planted it is one of my favourite scapes (though I suspect FO would trim it differently than its present maintenance)

Looking at your wood/stone, I can’t really imagine what will happen next ie how to use it in a scape

Yeah got it, I actually did remove some of the left a couple minutes ago and played around a little in a planter. There is a bit more attention to the "rules" in this mock up.
794af7f2cee958d6626c6d11b1c4743f.jpg

This is what I have so far, it's a bit hard without a spare tank so bear with the pic please!

Much better :)

The Aquascaping workshop video is long & the mike pickup wasn’t the best, but Filipe Oliveira is well worth an afternoon - it’s tempting to skip through parts but then you miss some of his aquascaping philosophy

Much better :)

The Aquascaping workshop video is long & the mike pickup wasn’t the best, but Filipe Oliveira is well worth an afternoon - it’s tempting to skip through parts but then you miss some of his aquascaping philosophy

Anything I can do to make it better? There's a sort of cliff/drop off on the right plus a "path" to the back, do they mix well? I guess I could narrow down the pathway but I'll get to it tmrw. I'll probably watch the FO vid over thanksgiving break! Thinking of a mixed carpet iwagumi with some bucephalandra on the rocks for this tank. Any suggestions to plant choice? Thanks!

I’m lousy at farseeing a scape :oops:

I mess about with my rocks and wood, get a load of plants based upon what’s available (whenever I’ve tried to plan & preorder plants, half my selections don’t ship so I’ve since given up), then try and put something decent together

I use Tropica Aquarium Soil as substrate so it doesn't much matter if I change things as the tank develops or plants appear in the shops (at last!!!)

Spray your hardscape, add overhead lighting - to see the light/shadow effects
It’s good to also add sand as the light reflections off this will alter perception and affect plant choices (as will your experience level - “advanced” plants are often just that)

Ok sounds good! I think I'm set on the scape, I'll leave it for a bit and come back to it to see what I can change! Thanks!!

Bryson

794af7f2cee958d6626c6d11b1c4743f.jpg

That is 100% better its easy to follow.

There is room for improvement in the rock placement and show the substrate height and shape in a mock tank.

To help you is it possible for you to make a mock tank? As a temporary pone it can be made using a cardboard box as long as it has a piece across the front for the substrate which can be cheap sand or even garden soil.

There is room for improvement in the rock placement and show the substrate height and shape in a mock tank.

To help you is it possible for you to make a mock tank? As a temporary pone it can be made using a cardboard box as long as it has a piece across the front for the substrate which can be cheap sand or even garden soil.

I can make a mock tank, I'll just have to scrounge out a box. I'll see what I can do.

Back