• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragonsback Ridge 60cm

flygja

Hey guys. This is my new rockscape. I've never scaped exclusively with rocks before, so this is something new for me. I can't call myself a scaper until I've done an iwagumi, so here it is!

60cm x 30cm x 36cm
Eheim 2215
DIY LED lighting consisting of 12 Cree XR-E 3W LEDs for a total of 1.8 wpg
Pressurised CO2 via reactor
ADA Amazonia II

Plants will consist of -
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Rotala rotundifolia sp Green
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala nanjenshan
Hygrophila sp Vietnam

Fish are -
Trigonostigma hengeli
Yamato shrimps
Red cherry shrimps
Otocinclus

On with the pictures!
Tank in-situ. Had the cabinet custom made to look like an ADA wood cabinet
DSC08269.jpg

In goes one crushed Bacter Ball
DSC08272.jpg

Followed by crushed lava rocks
DSC08273.jpg

And ADA Amazonia II. About 3/4 a bag is used soil from my previous scapes.
DSC08276.jpg

In go the rocks. Took me quite a while to come up with this scape as the rocks I already have aren't big enough. This one has a path that goes all the way behind.
DSC08278.jpg

And this one has rocks at the end of the path. Which do you think is better?
DSC08279.jpg

Comments welcome!

that looks great i think my next try will be an iwagumi just need a shorter tank as 2ft deep is a little too high lol :thumbup:

Great scape, for me it has to be the second, I think it has more sense of scale, like a valley disappearing between the spurs of a mountain. T

Second scape for me too.

Can you give us more details on your lights? Looks like a retro fit?

Is the blue you can see the tank mat or is it eggcrate?

Looks like its 4-2 in favor of the 2nd one, so I'm going for that one! Thanks guys!!

Garuf, the LED unit is a retrofit of a 2x 20W T8 lighting unit. It's not finished yet, the fan is just sitting on top of a blowhole for now. Once it's finished I'll start a thread detailing my DIY. It's basically 12 3W Cree XR-E LEDs thermal-glued to an aluminium reflector driven by a Luxdrive 1000mA buckpuck. I also connected a 5k ohm pot so its dimmable and added the 80mm fan for cooling. Everything is then supplied by a 24V 4A AC-to-DC laptop adapter.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! Been a little busy and also currently addicted to little game called Demon's Souls. If you have a PS3 and love playing RPGs, I highly recommend that you check it out. Extremely unforgiving but really satisfying at the same time.

Well I ended up re-doing it after realising it looked kinda messy.
DSC08895.jpg

It's been a month since I re-did it. Trying for a classic iwagumi scape. It's about 4 weeks old now. I had the Limnophilla sp Vietnam planted there because I didn't have a holding tank for it and it was too expensive to throw out. It's currently not doing too well, I'm guessing because there isn't enough light getting to that corner of the tank.

I'm thinking that the "main rock" needs to be moved forwards a little bit and its supporting rock on the right taken out. That might give it more depth. Right now it just looks flat.

On the algae front, a bit of GSA and BBA and a lot of BGA. You can see the BGA in this close-up of the HC.
DSC08898.jpg

Currently running 6 hours of lighting per day and 1 bps CO2. I'm thinking that the BGA is due to poor circulation down the front of the glass. Planning to use a spray bar along the back wall instead.

4 weeks later and the HC and Jap HG are finally starting to creep.
DSC08899.jpg

DSC08900.jpg

Look what I collected from a beach in Koh Lanta, Krabi, Thailand. Soaked in bleach for a few days.
DSC08903.jpg

Taken out and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Currently soaking in anti-chlorine to remove all traces of bleach.
DSC08904.jpg

The rocks had similar coloring when I collected them, but now I see that some have a light gray base colour while others have a brown base colour. It's got reddish patches here and there which I find quite nice. Don't know what sorta rocks they are and I haven't done the acid test either.

Back